Keeping Sulcatas together

OLLY

Location (City and/or State)
Atherstone
I have 2 baby sulcatas and I have the option of adding another baby that is from the same clutch. Is it ok to do this or is it a bad idea. Are they more likely to get on as a family of 3

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Pretty much a bad idea. Torts don’t need, require or want friends. They are pretty much solitary animals & only get together (in the wild) to mate and procreate the species.

Soooo, two will be a handful either sex they are, three worse.

Since you are new to the Forum - make sure you read up & implement all the great care instructions/tips info on Sulcatas.

➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Lastly, I hope you have a large bit of property to raise these guys. Think about how you will house them in a few years. Keeping large enclosures heated to a minimum of 80F is a challenge.

OLLY

Atherstone
Pretty much a bad idea. Torts don’t need, require or want friends. They are pretty much solitary animals & only get together (in the wild) to mate and procreate the species.

Soooo, two will be a handful either sex they are, three worse.

Since you are new to the Forum - make sure you read up & implement all the great care instructions/tips info on Sulcatas.

➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Lastly, I hope you have a large bit of property to raise these guys. Think about how you will house them in a few years. Keeping large enclosures heated to a minimum of 80F is a challenge.
There are so many different opinions on keeping sulcatas together, some say no to a pair but 3 sulcatas together is fine. Its very confusing. I am aware of the cost and space required.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are so many different opinions on keeping sulcatas together, some say no to a pair but 3 sulcatas together is fine. Its very confusing. I am aware of the cost and space required.
They should never be kept as a pair. Trios of juveniles will usually be fine, but you'll have your hands full as they grow up and start getting bigger. Unless they are all female, you will have to house them separately as adults. You don't want siblings breeding and you don't want multiple males. 3 females is the only combo that works.

OLLY

Atherstone
They should never be kept as a pair. Trios of juveniles will usually be fine, but you'll have your hands full as they grow up and start getting bigger. Unless they are all female, you will have to house them separately as adults. You don't want siblings breeding and you don't want multiple males. 3 females is the only combo that works.
It sounds like I should think about taking on the 3rd and reassess when they are older, by then I will know the sex