Keeping Russian Tortoises outdoors in So Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Anyone here keep Russians outside year round in So Cal? I've heard it said many times on this forum that they can be, but who does it?

Do you let them burrow on their own or provide heated shelters?

I've been debating getting a couple more leopard hatchlings OR having some russians. I'm leaning towards russians but have alot more research to do before I'm sure.

These are some starter questions I am beginning to look for answers to:

I plan to take adults in need of homes from CL. I would like to keep them in an outdoor secure pen with a locked lid day and night. Is this fine to do all year long? Here in so cal that equates to mostly summer temps with a few cold weeks or rain here and there in winter.

Can they be allowed to burrow themselves? or
Do I have to make them a heated tort house?

Can I keep maybe 3 males? Then I wouldn't have to worry about egg laying. or
If I keep 2/3 females to 1 male and they lay eggs can I simply pull the eggs and NOT incubate them to hatch? I'm not up for babies!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Hopefully RT owners from Southern California will respond. I believe many of them overwinter their RT's outside.
If you don't hear, PM dmmj.

As far as keeping RT's together, some keepers are able to, if they have LARGE outdoor enclosures. However, males are very territorial, and can fight to the death.
You do tend to see more males than females on CL looking for new homes.

Females in groups may get along (but maybe not), or in groups with a ratio of male: female @ 1:3 (or more females).
Females need hides and sight blocks to get away from each other and especially males.
So with RT's, you can hope for the best, but have to be prepared to create separate enclosures.

Still, if you have the room and resources, don't let the above stop you. There are torts that need good outside homes!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would say a lot of areas are a little to wet to overwinter. I bring mine in and hibernate them in my shed for winter time. Depending on where you live they will burrow and just hibernate over the winter, I know of several people who's russian just dig a nice burrow and sleep during the winter time, if you don't want to hibernate you will need to provide a shelter like you would for a sulcata during the colder winter time.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I am in the IE so its dry for sure. Good to know they can burrow and hibernate themselves. I am perfectly ok with that...

I have plenty of un used yard so I could always make a huge pen with many obstructions and if I have issues divide them to smaller pens.
Well, we shall see.

lynnedit said:
As far as keeping RT's together, some keepers are able to, if they have LARGE outdoor enclosures.

what would be considered large?

my 3" leopard hatchling is in a 20'x6' or 120sq ft enclosure when outside. would that be considered large for him?

an area i have in mind for the next pen is 27'x 12ft...haven't done the sq ft math yet lol.. is that considered large for a small group of russians?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is definitely large. Making an 'L' shape helps provide interest too, along with shurbs, mounds, logs...
Still, Russian torts are basically solo creatures. You have to be really observant, because some torts will hide and ultimately decline, w/o apparent visible bullying. If everyone is basking, eating, roaming, then things are fine.
Also, new torts should be kept separate for a period of time anyway, to make sure they are healthy (if you don't know much about their background).
So you just won't know if they can cohabitate (meaning tolerate each other), until you try.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Lynne,

are your 1:3 russians kept together in the same pen? did you acquire all at once or over a period of time? how long have you had your little herd together? what size is their enclosure?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I acquired them over time. Two females live together, the male and one female each separately. The female is great with humans, but very mean to other torts: searches the others out even when they are hiding (!), then bites, pretend mates them, etc. Not worth it. I don't think she is as typical.

Enclosures are large and irregularly shaped: two females in 10-15'x 40' or so. The other two are in smaller enclosures, but a good size for one tort.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
My 1.3 group is in a very large enclosure year round here in the Sacramento valley. They need lots of space to get away from one another if they are going to be successfully housed together. By that I mean large enough that they might not see one another for weeks. If you are not interested in babies then I would definitely suggest a sIngle boy. If however you are focused on having a group then I would go with girls. There is certainly no guarantees that they will get along, but the odds of that happening are far better than trying a group of males.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
if i went with all girls, wouldn't they still lay eggs?

if i had male/female and they laid eggs could i dig them up and just collect them in a basket? like a chickens eggs? ...but honestly, does that mean the lil tort alive in the fertilized the egg would die?? :( ...uhoh. maybe not then??

if male/female laid eggs and i never touched their nests maybe none would ever hatch?

is a 4'x3' enclosure enough for 1 russian? i have a area that size too, but it just looks soooo small to me compared to my 20'x6'. but maybe it is ok for a single russian? i dont know so please tell me. i do agree the more the better but if i set up one in a 4'x3' is that too small??

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
One RT in a 4'x3' is OK, but eventually it would be nice to expand it.

All females may lay eggs, but unless they were exposed to a male within the past few years, they would not be fertile. More likely they would not lay eggs at all.

It can take some work to get Russians to lay fertile eggs that will hatch, but if you did have both sexes and a female laid eggs, you could ignore them, and it is quite possible none would hatch.
Or, you could dig them up and not incubate them, in which case the tortoise would not form inside the shell.
Of course, those who don't want hatchings sometimes end up with them ... not the worst outcome! :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
thanks lynne, your input has been very helpful.

i will continue my search into russians and figure out where to put a pen and its size. i have unused yard space so it's just a matter of the specific location for one.

going to ditch the 4x3 idea...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Be sure to watch the sun exposure in your yard and how it is affected by nearby trees, buildings, etc.! Particularly in Spring and Fall.
Let us know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.