Keeping my Tortoise Warm During Blackout

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So we're getting hit by a snowstorm tomorrow night and I'm afraid of my Redfoot not having heat for a day or two if there is a blackout :(

I bought some of those hand warmers I could place in a shoebox to keep her warm...for a while...but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and would recommend anything?

Thank you in advance!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How cold do you think it will get in the house/where the tortoise is?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Many members use the hand warmers. If you start getting really bad weather, where you think your power will go out, I would have something prepared to wrap the enclosure with to try and keep as much heat from escaping as possible and then you could sue the warmers to put into a shoe box and place tort in the box, in the closure. Be sure to put a towel or something between the warmers and tort.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
When Sandy hit we had no power for 5 days. I filled a lot of empty soda bottles with hot water and put them in the enclosure and covered the top to keep the heat in. As they cooled down I kept filling them with hot water.
We had another storm years ago when I only had one little Cherry head, and I put her inside my pj top (next to my heart) and slept with her there. My family is still talking about that one.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
We have the thermostat set to 65 in our house and it comes on pretty frequently in the winter time. I would say my house could get maybe 50 degrees or lower depending on how long the power is out.

I will definitely try that out wellington, thank you. I hope I won't have to, but it sure sounds like it's going to happen with 2 feet of snow.

Terryo, that is so cute! I don't think my Charlotte would ever let that happen...she would probably struggle to get out and pee all over me. I will try the hot water, though! Thank you! (By the way, your box turtle garden is GORGEOUS!)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If I had little time to prepare for something like this, I would try to insulate the enclosure as much as possible so that once power is lost the enclosure cools as slow as possible. I don't think 50* is necessarily harmful; it's how fast it gets to 50*. Rapid changes in temperature (along with sub freezing temperatures) is what does the damage. There are people who purposefully hibernate redfoots so it's survivable.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
We had a generator a while back but sold it because we never used it. I honestly don't know too much about them. I would have to do my research and see if I could find a small one that would keep my heat lamps running.

Thanks for that information jaizei, I will do what I can to make sure the temperatures don't drop dramatically in a short period of time!