Keeping Indian Star & Leo *separately* in same room?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
I have a great opportunity to adopt a small Indian Star tortoise who needs a home. Upon further research I find that they are particularly susceptible to pathogens other torts carry. I currently house a Leopard tort. Now they would have separate enclosures both inside and outside. They would never actually come in contact with each other but I can’t *guarantee* no cross contamination because they’d be in the same room. I could wear gloves if needed.
Am I thinking too much or being safe?

Attachments

• 01DD3D30-4830-4BEE-AA6E-A2C96489E64C.jpeg
    01DD3D30-4830-4BEE-AA6E-A2C96489E64C.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 834A3FB3-DBAB-4118-AC64-0360BC279993.jpeg
    834A3FB3-DBAB-4118-AC64-0360BC279993.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Good quarantine protocol is always needed and very wise when bringing in another tortoise from another source or location. Tortoises are all very hardy and resistant to disease if started correctly and raised in the right conditions. However, the pathogens or parasites tortoises can get can also be quite contagious and some very deadly. So bringing in a new animal should always be done with caution and good bio-security for 6 months or so.

I would take fecal samples to a good vet for screening. When you get the tortoise and after 6 months. Weigh accurately monthly and look for consistent, healthy weight maintenance. From your picture above, the star, although small, looks to be a maturing male. So may not be growing a lot at this point, but I would think should still be showing some weight gain.
1-Keep totally in separate enclosures.
2-Use totally separate/dedicated food dishes, water dishes, hides, soaking tubs, etc.
3-Wash hands thoroughly between handling/cleaning anything in either enclosure.

Once you know for sure all animals are disease free, you can relax a bit. But I always follow the first 2 points above, even with tortoises hatched and started here that are of different species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are definitely thinking the right way. Most people do this and get away with it. I do. I have multiple species in the same room, but different enclosures. I have different species outdoors that share a common wall too. Have separate utensils, bowls, and equipment for each enclosure, and the risk should be minimized.