Keeping a Hermann’s outside in WI

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi again ? So I wasn’t really sure where to post this so I thought I’d go for the Hermann’s area since I’m 99% sure that’s what species I will end up going with. After lots of reading here I was convinced I couldn’t keep a hermann’s outside 24/7 in spring/summer/fall. But after reading the Hermann’s care sheet for the umpteenth time I’m reconsidering... would it be safe/healthy for an adult hermanns to live outside in the following weather conditions in a well constructed enclosure with one of those cold frame mini greenhouses??
Wisconsin is cool and often rainy in the spring and fall with temps anywhere between 40-70 F and can still get frosts and very cold nights. Summers can be hot... up to 90s F and often we‘re very humid in general. There will be cold humid rainy days in summer too. We’re such a mixed bagged of weather lol. So what would you do? Keep hI’m indoors and only take outside on the nice weather days? Or is there a special type of cage construction we could do for outdoors for a few months each year?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You might find this thread I created about keeping my tortoise outdoors in the UK helpful

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
An adult Hermanns tortoise should be able to live outside 24/7 during spring, summer and fall with a heated enclosed hide. When nights are below 60 be sure he is in its hide for the night and shut him in. The hide should be big enough to stay in and move around and allow for food and water incase of a few below 60 days or bring him in the house to an indoor enclosure for those really cold, below 60 days or nights. Winter he would have to be in your house

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi again ? So I wasn’t really sure where to post this so I thought I’d go for the Hermann’s area since I’m 99% sure that’s what species I will end up going with. After lots of reading here I was convinced I couldn’t keep a hermann’s outside 24/7 in spring/summer/fall. But after reading the Hermann’s care sheet for the umpteenth time I’m reconsidering... would it be safe/healthy for an adult hermanns to live outside in the following weather conditions in a well constructed enclosure with one of those cold frame mini greenhouses??
Wisconsin is cool and often rainy in the spring and fall with temps anywhere between 40-70 F and can still get frosts and very cold nights. Summers can be hot... up to 90s F and often we‘re very humid in general. There will be cold humid rainy days in summer too. We’re such a mixed bagged of weather lol. So what would you do? Keep hI’m indoors and only take outside on the nice weather days? Or is there a special type of cage construction we could do for outdoors for a few months each year?
Yes, a hermanni can live outside full time there in Spring, Summer and Fall. You'll need some supplemental heat some of the time. I explain how to do it here:

Essentially, its an insulated night house. I use a radiant oil heater to keep the ambient temp around 60 ish on colder nights, and on cold overcast days, I use a heat lamp on a timer for basking. On days that are in the high 60s or warmer and sunny, I don't use the basking lamp.