Keep on or turn off heating light at night.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
British columbia
For my tortoise, a greek, I believe it is important to have the basking light off at night, as this encourages the tort to dig in and self regulate body temp and water loss. Keeping the light on could also encourage night basking, which isnt good for them. Other members may elaborate further, but I would say turn it off.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Quick question : how are you providing heat to your tort’s enclosure? You want to have your heat always on 24/7 and have it controlled by a thermostat. Your daylight lights & basking lights, etc should be on timers that turn on early in the morning & turn off automatically at night (12-14 hours of operation or so).

In summary - heat is always on 24/7 via thermostat: lights on during the day, off at night.

hope that helps

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Memory tells me that Russians don't much care for heat at night...But not sure anymore as I stopped keeping them....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is a horsefield but I don't know the temperature in the night but I leave his heat mat on all the time
All tortoise species need their temperatures controlled and kept within a certain range. If you don't know the temperature, you don't know if you've got the temperatures correct for your tortoise. Go get a digital thermometer from a hardware store for about $10. Russians don't usually need night heat as long as its staying above 16-17 C and they can warm up during the day.

Heat mats should never be under tortoises. Its not safe and it goes against their natural instincts to cool off when they feel too warm. In the wild the heat is at the surface. When they feel too warm, they dig down to cool off. If you are using a heat mat, the more they dig down, the hotter it gets. They can get overheated or burned this way. Heat should come from over head in a tortoise enclosure.

Manchester
But it's not in the tank its under the tank and its quite small and doesn't get very very hot but he always goes on the side what doesn't have the heat mat and sleeps there

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
1. Under the tank heat is bad if not dangerous-torts dig to escape heat and in this case would be exposed to more heat. Also the under the tank are very unreliable and not worth the danger.
2. Basking light- for your Tort Speedy (Horsefeld) is a must since the prefer to sleep in cooler zones and will need to recharge. 1582026268356.pngThis is my Russian letting it all hang out in the bask spot

Reactions: Tom

jso

55*N, UK
And the last owner what had him for 8 years said that he never had a basking light
You could do better than the last owner! Tortoises pretty much expect their heat and light to come from above! We’re basically artificially replicating the sun.

Horsfields don’t need, or want, night time heat. Follow Tom and Blackdig’s advice. (In fact, a horsfield could cope with even lower than 16*C. Look up where they come from! Normal room temperatures, unless you live somewhere very cold indeed, should be fine.)

Reactions: Tom

norahs

West Sussex
All tortoise species need their temperatures controlled and kept within a certain range. If you don't know the temperature, you don't know if you've got the temperatures correct for your tortoise. Go get a digital thermometer from a hardware store for about $10. Russians don't usually need night heat as long as its staying above 16-17 C and they can warm up during the day.

Heat mats should never be under tortoises. Its not safe and it goes against their natural instincts to cool off when they feel too warm. In the wild the heat is at the surface. When they feel too warm, they dig down to cool off. If you are using a heat mat, the more they dig down, the hotter it gets. They can get overheated or burned this way. Heat should come from over head in a tortoise enclosure.
Had my Russian 2 weeks, she has no heat mat no heat night she has lots right heat day, she sleeps when we do, she had just settled and seems happy. I want to hibernate her outside this winter, I am learning also she is 2 or bit older, good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Had my Russian 2 weeks, she has no heat mat no heat night she has lots right heat day, she sleeps when we do, she had just settled and seems happy. I want to hibernate her outside this winter, I am learning also she is 2 or bit older, good luck
In most situations russians do not need night heat.

I would not hibernate your tortoise outside. Too many things can go wrong. Do it inside under controlled conditions, at the correct stable temperatures, with a proper led in and lead out.