keep hermanns indoors or outdoors for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bucharest, Romania z6
Maggie, it's very interesting the way you keep Bob! Frankly, I am speechless!

About your climate- yes, I know quite well US climate, but it is not that cold in winter there, less extreme. Redmond or Madras, by instance, are not that mild and humid, but arid and extreme: hot in summer or bitter cold in winter. So, if Bob goes out, I expect him to do that down to -2...-4*C; can he take a walk when lower?? It's mind-blowing for me!

About the terms used: yes, correctly should be "brumation", but I was used to "hibernation". They wanted to separate the winter sleep in mammalian and poikilotherm ways, wich is proper.

The occasional failures in non-brumating temperate climate Testudo were clearly related to that factor, since when resuming brumation, success appeared. I know about such reports, but I know as well that many breeders have satisfying results without brumation. That's why I wish to find more about the second way of keeping them, because they never fail to breed if brumate, but that is obviously explained by their adaptations and conditioning. Non-brumating and success- that's an interesting aspect! It remains to find also the rate of success, but again the infos are so isolated, that no clear conclusions can be drawn from them.
But even so, it shows clearly that brumation HAS a role, since most failures are connected to the lack of it, when other factors (good food and maintenance) are the same. Plus, the described cases- maybe some even from this forum?- when a quite shy and not very eager tortoise managed to mate, and no result (no brumation), compared to the raw, brutal reproductive drive, followed by success, when finally brumate. These are facts. Even non-brumating radicals usually say "brumation is useless and potentially dangerous (??), and it's not recommended unless you are planning to breed the tortoises". Then, at least SOMETHING goes better if brumating! QED!

After all, the best "scientific evidence" and "proof" is offered to all of us by... Mother Nature! She has done all the experiments and statistics that can be done, and much better than we, poor humans, can ever do. That's why she placed some tortoises in temperate climates, and other ones in warm climates!

Why Horsfieldis do not go down in the warm valleys in Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan? Well... for Pakistan, lower, warmer regions should be G. elegans country, and it's there because Nature decided so. Why avoiding a better place, with almost perpetual summer- wich non-brumating adepts offer to their animals??
Why T. ibera relatives remain in the cold plateaus in Iran, Afghanistan, instead of descending to warmer areas?

Questions to be answered... or already answered: because on longterm, the perpetual summer is not what they have evolved for. Sooner or later, the temperate tortoise population would go extinct, because brumation becamed a biological need- or will evolve in order to became another species, and in paralel with losing the brumating capacity, it will look different too. Well, that happened already: we have now each climate with its tortoises. Mother Nature solved that discussion with herself- about brumating and non-brumating species- longtime ago! She just put each one in the proper climate!
We have the opportunity to keep: not the extinct ones LOL, not the tropical species (or, well, maybe tropical species too, but coming from the tropics, considered and treated as tropical, wich is correct), but the TEMPERATE species, wich we still insist to consider and treat as tropicals- wich is WRONG, isn't it, after all?

GB: right now I saw your post- interesting as usual, but I will analyse and reply tomorrow. Good opinion exchange here!

See you!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
(The fact that this hobby "is not old enough" can be used as a point for either side of the discussion. While there may not be proof of captive born tortoises living to be 100 years old, there is also no proof that they don't. Keep in mind while this hobby has been in full swing since the late 50's & 60's. Large scale captive breeding, with only a handful of exceptions, has only been taking place since the late 80's at best. There are very few captive born tortoises over 25 years old currently in captivity in the U.S. Before everyone jumps on this let me clarify that yes they some do exist. But as a whole there are still far more wild caught and younger captive borns out there. To use a wild caught tortoise as an example of total lifespan would be totally inaccurate without knowing it's birth year for certain.)Quotes from Gary-sorry not sure how to quote properly!))

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...s-or-outdoors-for-winter?page=2#ixzz1diThJ3Nl

I know of many tortoises over 50 yrs old(usually Spur thigh or Hermanns) , one over 70 yrs living in the UK, they were all and continue to be hibernated very successfully.
I'm not saying this is the right way. I just know these old tortoises are doing very well in their environments having hibernated for many many years-correctly!(they have to be monitored regularly-that includes weighing them etc whilst in hibernation so if there are any concerns they are pulled out)

It is only since finding this forum that I have learned that a lot of folks are afraid to hibernate so decide not to and assume it is not necessary. I am not sure it is as black and white as that and really need to research longer to see how these captives that are not hibernated do fair over the long term-70 yr old tortoises and older for example.

There is still so much we just do not know.
I now sit on the fence and continue to listen to both sides before I decide whether to hibernate my Hermanns.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
johnnysd said:
wow, 42 views and no response..so either nobody on the forum has any idea as to what i'm asking or maybe i'm wording it wrong and nobody understands the question. so let me try to phrase it at little better.

Hi Johnny:

Well, ask and you shall receive, huh? :p

I hope it was alright with you that this thread turned into a debate. We sort of took the ball and ran with it. But did you get your question answered?

It was a pretty good debate and some of our more volatile members (none of whom posted here) should take a lesson from it. Both sides have stated their sides with courtesy. As a moderator, I thank you for that. But, since this isn't the debate section, I would like to ask that further debate be taken to the section for debating.

Fabian: At the end of one of your posts you said, " PS: I want to open a topic with useful links, esp. with habitat infos- in some, you will see Bulgarian boettgeri and ibera emerging from hibernation covered in ... MUD. The situation is the same in almost all Boettgeri areal, except some drier areal from Greece, but having wet winters too."

I hope you do this. It will be quite interesting to all of us.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
emysemys said:
johnnysd said:
wow, 42 views and no response..so either nobody on the forum has any idea as to what i'm asking or maybe i'm wording it wrong and nobody understands the question. so let me try to phrase it at little better.

Hi Johnny:

Well, ask and you shall receive, huh? :p

I hope it was alright with you that this thread turned into a debate. We sort of took the ball and ran with it. But did you get your question answered?

It was a pretty good debate and some of our more volatile members (none of whom posted here) should take a lesson from it. Both sides have stated their sides with courtesy. As a moderator, I thank you for that. But, since this isn't the debate section, I would like to ask that further debate be taken to the section for debating.

Fabian: At the end of one of your posts you said, " PS: I want to open a topic with useful links, esp. with habitat infos- in some, you will see Bulgarian boettgeri and ibera emerging from hibernation covered in ... MUD. The situation is the same in almost all Boettgeri areal, except some drier areal from Greece, but having wet winters too."

I hope you do this. It will be quite interesting to all of us.
Hi
Sorry for contributing to the change of direction. I guess that happens almost without realising it.Bit like the game Telephone or Chinese whispers as it was in my school, where the beginning comments end up so different to the end etc.
I hope too you got your answers Johhny?
It was nice getting back and forth opinions with all showing respect etc
Thanks Yvonne:shy: for pointing out the thread topic redirection-I'll certainly try to stay on track in the future.:p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
johnnysd said:
hello all, i have a 4 year old male eastern hermanns. this will be the first winter i have him. my question is..since i've been keeping him outdoors all this time, can i continue to keep him outdoors in the winter. or should i bring him inside to his indoor enclosure at night and bring him out during the day where its a little warmer. i've read that hermanns don't necessarily need to hibernate. and i'd rather not hibernate him because i'm afraid i have no idea what i'm doing.
i live in southern california where it averages about 70-ish in the day and mid 60's at night. i want to keep electricity costs down since i've also got a 2 year old sulcata.

Keep your buddy inside and enjoy him year 'round! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.