Karasi's new condo! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
I recently finished combining two enclosures into one, and I wanted to see what everyone thought! :D

011.jpg

I have petunias, a hibiscus bush, a few hens and chicks sedum, african merigolds, and bermuda grass growing in the little pots. :p
Also I made a little extra planting spot ontop of the little hide by cutting out the top (it's the bottom portion of an orange juice bottle flipped upside down, lol, so bottom is now top :D) and hot glueing cling wrap loosely around the edges to make a pocket for the soil :p it's like a nursery of sorts, so the babies get a chance to grow before Karasi chomps down on them, lol! ;)

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I think she's enjoying it, today she's been doing laps through both the enclosures :p lol! she's so funny to watch!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Looks Great i wouldnt want to angle any light like that, it can hurt or damage the torts eyes as well as shorten the life of any bulb :)

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Jacob said:
Looks Great i wouldnt want to angle any light like that, it can hurt or damage the torts eyes as well as shorten the life of any bulb :)

Should I hang them from above? I'm not sure how I would do that, but if I'm hurting my poor girl's eyes then I'll figure something out!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What kind of bulb is it? If it is a MVB (Powersun, etc.) the they do need to hang straight down to be more effective. If just a basking bulb, it doesn't really matter as long as temps are OK.

You make a stand out of wood: upright piece screwed to side, then short cross piece with a hook on it to hang your light.
Or:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/zoomed-light-stand-large/
(there is a base that slips under your enclosure).

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
lynnedit said:
What kind of bulb is it? If it is a MVB (Powersun, etc.) the they do need to hang straight down to be more effective. If just a basking bulb, it doesn't really matter as long as temps are OK.

You make a stand out of wood: upright piece screwed to side, then short cross piece with a hook on it to hang your light.
Or:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/zoomed-light-stand-large/
(there is a base that slips under your enclosure).

the one on one side is a basking bulb (which for some reason the plants like a lot, there is another basking bulb over the rock in the non-plantish enclosure for Karasi to really use when she needs to warm up.) and the other is a blue daylight UVB bulb (sold at pet stores.. I wish I had a MVB but no store around here sells them.). On the long black hood it has a long tube light (not sure, but I think it's the UVA?) along with a black light "night heat" bulb and another blue "daylight" bulb on the other side....

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Looks like a good start. :)

KimandKarasi said:
the one on one side is a basking bulb (which for some reason the plants like a lot, there is another basking bulb over the rock in the non-plantish enclosure for Karasi to really use when she needs to warm up.) and the other is a blue daylight UVB bulb (sold at pet stores.. I wish I had a MVB but no store around here sells them.). On the long black hood it has a long tube light (not sure, but I think it's the UVA?) along with a black light "night heat" bulb and another blue "daylight" bulb on the other side....

By blue daylight bulb, are you referring to something like this? I think you might have UVA & UVB mixed up in your description. The blue bulb provides UVA and the tube might provide the UVB, depending on type, as well as UVA.

I also like the Zoomed light stands, they work great and don't look too bad either. It is hard to tell from the video, but I would try to find a way to secure the clamps to the sides a little more rigidly. Bailing wire maybe? I do not and would not trust the clamps by themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.