Kapidolo make your own mix

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hibiscus is tremendous, It’s a definite yes to feed, both flowers, leaves and limbs.

➡️
  • Common Name: Hibiscus (China Rose, Shoeblackplant, Chinese Hibiscus, Mediterranean Hibiscus, Shoe Flower)
  • Latin Name: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis
  • Family Name: Malvaceae
Tortoises enjoy the flowers of this Hibiscus, and often the leaves too (although the leaves of this plant are more leathery than those of its close relative, Hibiscus syiracus). The flowers can be found in a wide variety of colours, from white through to pinks, oranges and reds, lemon and blue.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
Any suggestions on what a good 5 pick mix is through @Kapidolo Farms for a Russian tortoise and a Western Hermann tortoise?
What do you normally feed and have available? For example, I have 4 mulberry trees and 40 stands of cactus, so I don't have any need of the dried mulberry leaves or cactus. I also have loads of plantain and dandelion, so I don't buy those either. I usually get the moringa, rasberry leaves, echinacea, nettle, and ginkgo because I have none of these. Will recently sent me some Soursop, and honey bush to try, and my tortoises love it! I also bought Will's calcium carbonate and mix than in to my food bucket a couple of times a week for breeding females and growing babies.

I guess my point is, buy a variety of whatever you don't have. All of it is great stuff, and the more variety the better. If you buy a bunch all at once, you'll save on shipping too.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Im from Abington, PA I give my Russian the santa barbra mix from a local produce and I get him mustard greens, dandelion weeds, and also feed my Russian fresh dandelions from in the yard. I also use kapidolos mix with his food.

Reactions: ISU

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Im in the process of growing aloe, and plan on growing pansy because he loves his pansys

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im from Abington, PA I give my Russian the santa barbra mix from a local produce and I get him mustard greens, dandelion weeds, and also feed my Russian fresh dandelions from in the yard. I also use kapidolos mix with his food.
Adding in the dried leaves from Kapidolo Farms is good, but I would do more if you are reliant on grocery store greens. Mix in some soaked ZooMed pellet, or some soaked horse hay pellets. Feed Mazuri once or twice a week. Add in some endive, cilantro, arugula, and dandelion greens from the store for more variety.

Most tortoises dont want to eat aloe. Grow some grape leaves. Get some testudo seed mix from tortoisesupply.com. How about rose of sharon? African hibiscus? I know there are lots of mulberry trees in PA. Find them and get some spring leaves.

Get as much variety going as you can. It will take time to introduce all of the new foods. Do so slowly. Only add a little bit of these new foods mixed in with old favorites. It will take weeks to get him eating these new things.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Adding in the dried leaves from Kapidolo Farms is good, but I would do more if you are reliant on grocery store greens. Mix in some soaked ZooMed pellet, or some soaked horse hay pellets. Feed Mazuri once or twice a week. Add in some endive, cilantro, arugula, and dandelion greens from the store for more variety.

Most tortoises dont want to eat aloe. Grow some grape leaves. Get some testudo seed mix from tortoisesupply.com. How about rose of sharon? African hibiscus? I know there are lots of mulberry trees in PA. Find them and get some spring leaves.

Get as much variety going as you can. It will take time to introduce all of the new foods. Do so slowly. Only add a little bit of these new foods mixed in with old favorites. It will take weeks to get him eating these new things.
Thanks Tom! Will do

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hello,
Any suggestions on what a good 5 pick mix is through @Kapidolo Farms for a Russian tortoise and a Western Hermann tortoise?
There have been many good suggestions. Tom said it best, get what you don't have ready access to in your backyard or grocery store - the concept being - to maximize variety.