Kane Mats/pig blankets

Kim Whitaker

I have 12 year old sulcata and she lives in Bandera, Texas (10F to 110F). She's grown to a point where moving her into the garage during our winter months is really not feasible. This summer I plan to build her a new permanent home outside (she uses a Rubbermaid shed now). My question is putting a heating mat underneath her ..... what about the urine and feces? Is there something I need to know?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kim, and welcome to the Forum!

I have both kinds - a night box like Tom's links and an actual shed. Personally, I like the shed better. I'm old, and it's hard for me to clean out a night box, but I can just walk right into the shed with my rake and scoop and clean away! Here's a link to the shed I built for Dudley last year. He's a 110lb sulcata:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/dudleys-rebuild.111350/

I use pig blankets in my sheds (I have 4 sheds). I buy mine from https://www.osbornelivestockequipme...nfield-heat-pads/stanfield-nursery-heat-pads/

I've been using this brand for over 25 years with very few problems. I've had a few of the controllers go bad, but I'm still using my original pig blankets. You're not supposed to put anything on top of them, but poop and pee don't cause a problem. I clean out my sheds each morning, so the pads stay reasonably clean all the time. I believe one must keep the tortoise's area clean. I know in the wild they poop and pee in their burrows and that helps to keep the humidity up, but I don't like them having to sleep in a poopy place.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Thank you, thank you! I can't believe how many people have sulcatas! I have so much information to build Iris a beautiful and safe home.

Soooo true. I can't believe how many people have sulcatas either. Just around the block our neighbor has at least one very large sulcata also.

Tom's night box worked out grand for our newly adopted "Sherman". Family told me I was crazy for building him a house and that he would never use it. When we put his night box in his yard he was inside within 10 minutes. He loves sleeping on the pig mat. The poo and pee isn't a big issue. We just rake out his box once a week or when needed.

Sherman can't say enough how much he appreciates his cozy house. Thanks Tom.

310.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

I have both kinds - a night box like Tom's links and an actual shed. Personally, I like the shed better. I'm old, and it's hard for me to clean out a night box, but I can just walk right into the shed with my rake and scoop and clean away! Here's a link to the shed I built for Dudley last year. He's a 110lb sulcata:

I use pig blankets in my sheds (I have 4 sheds). I buy mine from https://www.osbornelivestockequipme...nfield-heat-pads/stanfield-nursery-heat-pads/

I've been using this brand for over 25 years with very few problems. I've had a few of the controllers go bad, but I'm still using my original pig blankets. You're not supposed to put anything on top of them, but poop and pee don't cause a problem. I clean out my sheds each morning, so the pads stay reasonably clean all the time. I believe one must keep the tortoise's area clean. I know in the wild they poop and pee in their burrows and that helps to keep the humidity up, but I don't like them having to sleep in a poopy place.
I wonder if they mind the smell. Today Charlie made an enormous mess in his night box. I cleaned it out but it still had a bit of an odor. I'm afraid to use anything other than water to clean with.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I wonder if they mind the smell. Today Charlie made an enormous mess in his night box. I cleaned it out but it still had a bit of an odor. I'm afraid to use anything other than water to clean with.
Try some vinegar , it is a safe , natural , disinfectant and deodorizer ! I mix it 50/50 with water for all my "critter cleaning" ! ;)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Try some vinegar , it is a safe , natural , disinfectant and deodorizer ! I mix it 50/50 with water for all my "critter cleaning" ! ;)
Thank you! I have a huge jug of it. I always forget to use it as my husband can't stand the smell, but outside he might not notice.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
i clean out samsons box at least every other day! the box does have the fresh "barnyard" smell sometimes! when the weather is nice and samson is outside of his box i prop open the lid to allow it to air out then problem solved!

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx

Thanks for the link! I've been looking for a new, quality pig blanket. If you're using them, I trust they must be the best!!! ;)

vonrad

Oregon

Thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for. A friend recommended pig blankets, I found the Osborne site online, and I came here to see if they are used for Sulcatas. Great! What size did you buy? 2 x 3? My Tortuga is 50 pounds. Elizabeth