Kane Heating Mat with Integrated Thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Has anyone used the Kane Heating Mat with Integrated Thermostat? I would appreciate your comments pro or con. Thanks.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks Erin. I started to buy one for next winter but thought I should get some input first. What temp do you set it on for Sid?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
DesertGrandma said:
Thanks Erin. I started to buy one for next winter but thought I should get some input first. What temp do you set it on for Sid?

Usually around 85. I really only have to use it at night when the temps start dropping. It works so well I even contemplated getting one in his inside enclosure.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
One other thing I remembered... You need to use your point and shoot thermometer for awhile to make sure that the temp is what it says it is. We had it set on 80 and it was reading over 100 degrees, so Rob had to do something to it to fix it.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I will remember that. I will be using it with a radiant heat panel also, so will need to be watching closely to get the temps just right. If I have a problem I will ask you what Rob had to do to fix it. Or, I will just get in touch with the seller. Thanks a bunch!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
DesertGrandma said:
I will remember that. I will be using it with a radiant heat panel also, so will need to be watching closely to get the temps just right. If I have a problem I will ask you what Rob had to do to fix it. Or, I will just get in touch with the seller. Thanks a bunch!!

We will be here:)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Learned that this mat has the probe on the inside of the mat, and the temp varies no more than 3 degrees from your setting. There is nothing for the tortoise to destroy. No need to adjust with a rheostat. Heat only goes up, not down to the floor, and it cannot overheat and start a fire. Sounds perfect. Can't wait to get it and try it out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use them too. They work exactly as you described in your last post. Mine were spot on temp wise. I was surprised how accurate they were.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I remember you mentioning them before Tom, so I looked into it. I am so anxious to try them out. Sounds like so much less hassle with the thermostat. We have to get some electrical work done outside now to accomadate more plugins.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At one point one of mine started malfunctioning. It was only holding a temp of 80 all the time. I kept turning the dial up, but no change in temp. I got frustrated and wanted to temp the shell of the tortoises since they kept using it like normal and seemed fine even though their heat source was too cool according to the thermometer. When I temped them the pad was 101. The thermometer still said 80 and the remote probe was lying flat on the pad. Turns out my thermometer was malfunctioning and the dial for the heat pad was set right at 101. Turned it back down to 90 and it went back to 90 when I checked it a couple hours later. Mine are extremely reliable and have never given me one single problem.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Great. That's what I like to hear. They are more expensive, but it just sounds like they are so much more reliable and so much less trouble to control. When you start turning on electrical equipment on outside and then leaving home, in my mind it has to be safe and reliable for the torts as well as the house. Oh, I also have ordered the radiant heat panel to use in the ceiling of the outside tort house. It might be overkill for this climate, but I think after playing with it for awhile to get the temps just right, it will be a good combo for comfort when we get the occasional freezing night temps next winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think its overkill at all. I think its cheap insurance for a leopard housed outdoors.

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Michigan
Do you let the tort lie directly on th mat or let it heat the substrate?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
n3rdchik said:
Do you let the tort lie directly on th mat or let it heat the substrate?

The mat is NOT to be used with substrate at all. The tortoise will lie on it when it is cold, and should be able to move on and off of it at will. It is for use outside in an insulated tortoise house.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have looked at these and want to get one. Which one do you get? The baby pig ones or one that is just labeled livestock? Also, which one has the integrated thermostat? Is it a separate unit with cord you plug the pad into? Also, what is the difference with the rheostat and thermostat? If I already have a reptile thermostat, do I need their integrated thermostat?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
wellington said:
I have looked at these and want to get one. Which one do you get? The baby pig ones or one that is just labeled livestock? Also, which one has the integrated thermostat? Is it a separate unit with cord you plug the pad into? Also, what is the difference with the rheostat and thermostat? If I already have a reptile thermostat, do I need their integrated thermostat?

Just google Kane Heating Mat and go to their website. All the info is there. It is not the same as a pig blanket. I got the one that is 18x18 but will probably need a bigger/extra one in the future.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just got mine a couple days ago. I ordered 2 of the 18x18. Got them from TortoiseSupply, Tyler, very fast shipping. Thanks, Tortoise Supply:) I will be hooking them up to my thermostat. Just wondering. Do you hang a CHE above it, which sure doesn't sound right, or off to the side. The mat only heats the bottom, how do you heat the top at the same time? I plan on using one I a dog house type house, inside the heated shed and possibly the other outside the dog house area, yet still in the heated shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.