Kane heat mat

CEvans

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
Good Morning,
Have built my tortoise structure and have purchased a Kane mat per Tom's @Tom suggestion.
What temperature do you put your Kane mat too. I have it at 72 but it feels cold. I have the one with a temperature setting I can adjust.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good Morning,
Have built my tortoise structure and have purchased a Kane mat per Tom's @Tom suggestion.
What temperature do you put your Kane mat too. I have it at 72 but it feels cold. I have the one with a temperature setting I can adjust.
In the winter I set my box thermostats to 86 since some of the day aren't very warm. In spring and fall when we have warm sunny days, I set the box thermostats to 80. In summer, I usually unplug the box.

The Kane mat alone is not enough. You'll also need a radiant heat panel overhead. You need to maintain warm air temps in the box. The surface temp of your mat is irrelevant. Set the mat's thermostat all the way up since is has built in safeties that will not let it over heat, and use a separate thermostat with the probe over in the cooler section of the box, away from the heat sources. This way, when the air temp drops, your tortoise can lay on the warm mat under the RHP and get his body warm all the way to the core. Once he's warm enough, he can move off the mat over to the "cool" side, but still be plenty warm and breathing the 80+ degree air.

None of this will work if you aren't using an insulated sealed night box. Plastic sheds or deck boxes and dog houses don't work. Your tortoise will get too cold on those nights when temps drop into the 30s or 40s.

Here is the thermostat I use in most of my boxes:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

Here is the RHP I use. I usually get the 80 watt, but bigger won't hurt anything since you are using a thermostat to control it:
https://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

CEvans

Phoenix
In the winter I set my box thermostats to 86 since some of the day aren't very warm. In spring and fall when we have warm sunny days, I set the box thermostats to 80. In summer, I usually unplug the box.

The Kane mat alone is not enough. You'll also need a radiant heat panel overhead. You need to maintain warm air temps in the box. The surface temp of your mat is irrelevant. Set the mat's thermostat all the way up since is has built in safeties that will not let it over heat, and use a separate thermostat with the probe over in the cooler section of the box, away from the heat sources. This way, when the air temp drops, your tortoise can lay on the warm mat under the RHP and get his body warm all the way to the core. Once he's warm enough, he can move off the mat over to the "cool" side, but still be plenty warm and breathing the 80+ degree air.

None of this will work if you aren't using an insulated sealed night box. Plastic sheds or deck boxes and dog houses don't work. Your tortoise will get too cold on those nights when temps drop into the 30s or 40s.

Here is the thermostat I use in most of my boxes:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

Here is the RHP I use. I usually get the 80 watt, but bigger won't hurt anything since you are using a thermostat to control it:
https://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels
Hi Tom,
I have the temperature controller and went with your idea of a oil radiator heater already. My enclosure is warm. My question is more about the KANE mat and what temp to keep it at. I have it at 72 but should it go higher?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi Tom,
I have the temperature controller and went with your idea of a oil radiator heater already. My enclosure is warm. My question is more about the KANE mat and what temp to keep it at. I have it at 72 but should it go higher?

I presume you are using a thermostat? You should have your kane mat & your radiator connected to your thermostat. No reason to run separate thermostats. The kane mat warms up once a heavy item (like a 30 lb Sulcata or a sow) sits on it.

From Kane:

When installed without temperature controls, your Kane Pet Heat Mats will heat to a constant 37 degrees Fahrenheit above ambient temperature.

CEvans

Phoenix
Hi Marco
My KANE mat came with a temperature controller. That is why I am asking what temp to set it at.
I have the radiator connected to the thermostat and it works great

Attachments

• IMG_3084 (002).jpg
    IMG_3084 (002).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 21

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Marco
My KANE mat came with a temperature controller. That is why I am asking what temp to set it at.
I have the radiator connected to the thermostat and it works great
Connect the Kane mat to the thermostat and then crank the adjustable dial for the mat all the way up. The mat has built in safeties to prevent it from overheating and you want it to be warm when the air temp is below the set point on your thermostat.

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
I presume you are using a thermostat? You should have your kane mat & your radiator connected to your thermostat. No reason to run separate thermostats. The kane mat warms up once a heavy item (like a 30 lb Sulcata or a sow) sits on it.

From Kane:

When installed without temperature controls, your Kane Pet Heat Mats will heat to a constant 37 degrees Fahrenheit above ambient temperature.
Sorry to jump into this thread, I am following a few designs on this site ( Toms) for a proper insulated hide for my now much larger tort. I have a Kane mat with the intention on using it along with my oil filled radiator and was planning on placing it flat on the bottom of the hide for my 50lb sulcata to move onto and off of at will. However there are a lot of ‘Do Not Cover’ warnings that came with it. I have it plugged to a rheostat. I was under the impression sows ( or torts) could be directly on top of the mat without a risk. Perhaps I am wrong about this?

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
It is a direct animal lay on mat. It is not intended to have mulch/soil or be under a tank. That kind of cover
Thank you! I have heard/read great things about them, then when it arrived it had so many warnings it made me nervous. I have been warming my feet on it for hours at my desk and it seems to have stayed at a pleasant temp the entire time and not gotten uncomfortable hot. It is plugged to a rheostat and I have it on half way. ( no temp on rheostat)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! I have heard/read great things about them, then when it arrived it had so many warnings it made me nervous. I have been warming my feet on it for hours at my desk and it seems to have stayed at a pleasant temp the entire time and not gotten uncomfortable hot. It is plugged to a rheostat and I have it on half way. ( no temp on rheostat)
You've got the right info. It is made to be laid upon by animals. But don't cover it with substrate. Mine poop on them regularly, and the poop dries up. This is not a problem. Craig Kane started putting built-in safeties years ago, so even if you do everything wrong, it still will not overheat and cause a problem like the old ones occasionally did.

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
You've got the right info. It is made to be laid upon by animals. But don't cover it with substrate. Mine poop on them regularly, and the poop dries up. This is not a problem. Craig Kane started putting built-in safeties years ago, so even if you do everything wrong, it still will not overheat and cause a problem like the old ones occasionally did.
Thank you! Your advice means so much. You and this site have been helping me raise a big smooth baby, as a first time owner for the last 7 years.
I adore my tortoise and I just know I would have lost her through innocent ignorance if it hadn’t been for this forum.
I know I have a long way to go, and many more years, I hope, but I will continue to be guided by the generously given advice to be found here.

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas

From Kane:

Question about this part. So if the mat heats to 37 degrees above the animal on it or the ambient temp, how does it not constantly keep rising and therefore scald the tortoise? Example: exothermic tort sits on mat, mat heats to 37 degrees above torts current temp, tort temp rises matching that, mat temp rises 37 degrees, tort temp rises, etc.

Had mine on the floor 2 years, no problems. I'm just trying to understand better how it works so I can guide others.
Brenda

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Brenda: It's not sensing the temperature of the mat, it's the controller that's sensing the temperature. So the CONTROLLER senses the ambient temperature in the room/shed/night house and stays 37 degrees above that.