Kamp kenan..!!

Dharam

I have viewed a lot of episodes of kenan harkin in youtube and he seems to love his work..!
Anybody here having experience who can tell how he actually is a breeder and supplier..!?
My personal impression is that he is good but tht goes by the videos..!!
Thnx in advance..!!

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
I have viewed a lot of episodes of kenan harkin in youtube and he seems to love his work..!
Anybody here having experience who can tell how he actually is a breeder and supplier..!?
My personal impression is that he is good but tht goes by the videos..!!
Thnx in advance..!!

I got both my elongated and yellowfoot from him. I have had nothing but good experiences with him in following up with questions. Be sure to listen to and understand any feeding advice he gives you - i have seen some info on here that didn't match with what i was told - and then also do your own research (which I always do personally) - there are lots of people with opinions and advice, so I try to pull a bit from each, and then watch my specific animals and try to apply what is working, and remove what isn't working in my specific case.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I bought 3 flavomarginata from him and met him. He's a good guy. He's really working hard to promote Kamp Kenan on YouTube.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've met him and heard him speak. He seems like a nice guy, and he's very passionate about his reptiles. He's a guy I'd like to hang out with and talk reptiles, but he is not the most knowledgeable or experienced guy out there. Some of the stuff he says is parroted old-outdated info. I get it. I used to parrot the same stuff before I learned otherwise from hard-earned first hand experience and trial and error.

Much of what he recommends probably works for him in the warm, almost-tropical climate that he lives in, but it isn't going to work elsewhere.

I too watch and enjoy some of his videos, but I don't like it when people who don't know better take his advice as gospel and follow it to the letter. I know from my own first hand experience that following some of the advice he gives will lead to problems for some people.

I say: Enjoy his well made videos, but take what he says with a grain of salt. Don't close your mind to what someone else has to say just because Kenan says something else.

I'm not saying that anyone reading this would be guilty of blindly following him or anybody else, but I have seen several instances of people thinking Kenan is more wise and experienced than what he is. I wish he'd join our forum and converse with us, so we could get to know him better and learn from the experience that he does have. His videos are nice, but I have questions and I'd like more clarification on some points. I'd like to ask what his depth of experience really is. I'd like to ask him to back up some of his blanket assertions and explain himself a little more. I'd like the change to explain to him why I think some of his recommendations and practices are detrimental to tortoises, and why I think so.

Kenan! Join the conversation man! If you are passionate about tortoises, this is the place to talk about them. You'd be welcome here, and not attacked. Friendly, respectful debate? Yes. Hostility? No.

Dharam

Yess I noticed that he is not on this forum and it would be nice to hve a productive debate from the ones who are knowledgeable...
Looking forward for the day that happens..!!

Jmoney1002

Sebring, FL
I recently started watching his videos. I live in Florida as well and recently got a sulcata hatchling. Not from him unfortunately because he said he would not have any until next year. I wanted to get it from him to support him and his channel but as I said, none available. He does breed and sell hatchling tortoises. If you e-mail him at the e-mail listed on his website, he will reply with what he has available or coming soon with prices.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
When I joined the forum Kenan was a member here.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I also live in South Florida , and what @Tom said is very true. 8 months out of the year we have it hot and humid. So very little must be done with either humidity or natural sunlight.

However , when raising babies in a house all that goes out the window ( no pun intended ) Our air conditioned homes are also de- humidified. Heated homes are even worse with low humidity. So it is the same as anywhere else.

But the 4 months in the winter outside are not enough ( usually ) to cause problems as long as you provide a humid & heated hide. At least for older ones (2+ years)

The advice for raising a tortoise outside in South Florida would be very different than the set up you need in Arizona or Michigan.

The inside environments however would not be different.