Kameya Rubbermaid Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

kameya

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
Here is a nice and easy way to setup an outdoor enclosure for your small tortoises using a large rubbermaid box...
tortoise-resort-23.jpg

I've had this setup for a while...at first, it was only the Rubbermaid box, than I added an extension on the side using the little brick fence...
rubbermaid-01.jpg

The interior view of the Rubbermaid box...
rubbermaid-02.jpg

Since I had put down some soil/peat moss as bedding materials, wild grass just grows out naturally with daily watering...
rubbermaid-03.jpg

The top view of brickwall extension,which gives more room for the little tortoise to run around...
rubbermaid-04.jpg

My 2-year-old sulcata decided to come out from its hide to sunbath a little...
rubbermaid-06.jpg

rubbermaid-07.jpg

Now..Don't move...let me get a clear head-shot...
rubbermaid-09.jpg

Let me take another one with the fisy-eye filter...love the result... ^_^
rubbermaid-24.jpg

Soon he then decided he had enough,so started walking back to his shelter...
rubbermaid-11.jpg

rubbermaid-12.jpg

rubbermaid-13.jpg

rubbermaid-15.jpg

rubbermaid-17.jpg

rubbermaid-18.jpg

rubbermaid-19.jpg

rubbermaid-20.jpg

The little one has been living in this enclosure for more than a year now, and since I've also got a heating mat underneath the Rubbermaid box, he's all well covered during the winter season as well...

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Thats pretty neat. I think you said your sully is 2yrs? How large is the actual enclosure, is it big enough? Very cool and detailed, love it!

kameya

10 Year Member!
jrcrist4 said:
Thats pretty neat. I think you said your sully is 2yrs? How large is the actual enclosure, is it big enough? Very cool and detailed, love it!

This enclosure is built to house hatchlings/small tortoises in mind, and when they do outgrow this habitat, then they will be transferred to a bigger habitat.

As for the interior setting, it was just an empty box in the beginning. But as the time passed, the wild grass has grown, little bits of stuff have been added here and there, and this is how this Rubbermaid garden has evolved. And this is why I waited for about a year to share this habitat with all of you, so I can take some pictures of nice looking natural enviroment other than the empty Rubbermaid box... ^_^

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
kameya said:
jrcrist4 said:

This enclosure is built to house hatchlings/small tortoises in mind, and when they do outgrow this habitat, then they will be transferred to a bigger habitat.

As for the interior setting, it was just an empty box in the beginning. But as the time passed, the wild grass has grown, little bits of stuff have been added here and there, and this is how this Rubbermaid garden has evolved. And this is why I waited for about a year to share this habitat with all of you, so I can take some pictures of nice looking natural enviroment other than the empty Rubbermaid box... ^_^

Oh I see. Looks great! thanks for sharin!

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I love it, gives me ideas for next spring. I have a 54 gallon Rubbermaid tote with 6 inches of substrate, I wanted to get away from using the basking light and try heating the substrate, but I fear the humidity/moisture of the substrate is not a good idea.

What are you using for a "heating mat"?

kameya

10 Year Member!
fbsmith3 said:
What are you using for a "heating mat"?

This is the heating pad I used for all my habiatat...I got it from Amazon, and the brand name is Sunbeam, and make sure to get the model with no Auto-Shutoff feature.
heatingpad.jpg

And this is how I setup the heating pad in my habitat...
rubbermaid-habitat.jpg

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
nice image you made there! the heating pad is in the substrate? is that safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.