Kameya Cove

Status
Not open for further replies.

kameya

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
The Pond

My wife had always wanted a pair of the Mississippi Map turtles, that she loves those adorable round eyes on the hatchling. But in order to make room for the new turtles, I had to relocate the two RES I had for years first, and then build a small pond over the existing site...

1. First-able, a demolition over the existing RES site is a must...

lagoon-01.jpg

2. Vinyl PVC pond liner I ordered online...

lagoon-04.jpg

3. Making the outline of the pond with the eggcrate ceiling panels...

lagoon-03.jpg

4. Also picked up the ZooMed Turtle cleaner to maintain the clear water quality...

lagoon-05.jpg

5. the base soil is flattened first...

lagoon-06.jpg

6. then the baseboard with the built-in drainer is placed down on top of the soil...

lagoon-07.jpg

7. after installing the eggcrate wall on top of the baseboard, I then wrap the wall with the PVC pond liner to form the interior of the pond...

lagoon-08.jpg

8. filled the pond with water for water leakage testing...

lagoon-09.jpg

9. inside the pond, another layer of eggcrate ceiling was added to separate the turtle resting area and the "goo" area...

lagoon-10.jpg

10. since I could not find the small flat stone pieces to cover the edges of the pond, I used the small counter tiles instead, which makes the pond does look like a outdoor bathtub for the turtles...

lagoon-11.jpg

11. a landing platform was added to the side of pond...with everything set to go, now it was time to fill the finished pond with water...

lagoon-12.jpg

12. since we had not picked up the Mississippi turtles yet, I decided to place the two RES in the pond to see how they interact with the new environment...

lagoon-13.jpg

13. everything looked good so far, except the fountain head from the 511 filter needed some covering from the sun...

lagoon-14.jpg

14. with all the rain we had in SoCal in the past few weeks, we had so many palm tree barks falling to the ground, so I found one nearby my house and used it to cover the fountain head...

lagoon-17.jpg

lagoon-19.jpg

lagoon-20.jpg

15. I've also added a piece of bamboo reed on top of the turtle landing to make whole habitat looked like it was built on a small island...

lagoon-16.jpg

16. a turtle statue was placed on the side of the pond...

lagoon-21.jpg

Now it's time to go out and shop some turtles...:)

The Turtles

We stopped at this new opened Reptile Island in Orange County, and they happened to have some baby M.Maps in stock. The store owner helped us picked a couple that were active and good lookings. Since the temperature in the outdoor pond had not reach to the desired warmth for the turtles, I placed them in the small water tanks during the first night...

lagoon-28.jpg

lagoon-29.jpg

lagoon-30.jpg

lagoon-31.jpg

lagoon-32.jpg

lagoon-33.jpg

lagoon-34.jpg

lagoon-35.jpg

lagoon-36.jpg

The bad thing about visiting the reptile store with extra cash in hand was you tended to want to spend more then your original plan. I happened to find this Chinese Pond Turtle that was displayed right next to the Maps, and I just couldn't resist to pick it up and decided to take it home with me...

lagoon-37.jpg

lagoon-38.jpg

lagoon-39.jpg

lagoon-40.jpg

lagoon-41.jpg

lagoon-42.jpg

Now we have the turtles...now it's the time to put them into the new pond...

lagoon-44.jpg

lagoon-45.jpg

lagoon-46.jpg

lagoon-47.jpg

lagoon-48.jpg

Hopefully these turtle will do well in their new home...now this project is accomplished, I am going back to work on my tortoise project.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
nice pond, I always enjoy seeing other's ponds.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
It is amazing how it progressed from a muddy hole to a pretty pond. Maybe there is hope for my boxie garden:)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
interesting pond setup. I got the same pond liner for my russian tort table :)

kameya

10 Year Member!
Angi said:
It is amazing how it progressed from a muddy hole to a pretty pond. Maybe there is hope for my boxie garden:)

Amazing...isn't it? The initial stage of any outdoor habitat construction is always the hardest...because all you see are either bare ground or muddy holes...:(

Not until some perimeter wall has been laid down then you can start to get a better picture of your visionary hatiat...

kimber_lee_314 said:
Very nice! I'd love to see your boxie garden ...

Hi Kimber,

I will post some new boxie garden photo once the weather gets better...BTW...the two little boxies are doing great, eating well and are not afraid of people...thank you... ^_^

kameya

10 Year Member!
6 Month update

The Kameya Cove has gone through some changes after it was first built based on how the turtles have interacted with their new environment...

Here is the top view of new settings...
kameya-cove-2011-01.jpg

Here are some close-up views of the cove...
kameya-cove-2011-03.jpg

kameya-cove-2011-04.jpg

kameya-cove-2011-05.jpg

kameya-cove-2011-06.jpg

Since this is a turtle habiat, I should have posted some turtle images (not just fishes) as well...however, the Map turtles I have here are quite shy, and they would slide into the water whenever I get near them...so I just have to be patient and wait for them to show themselves from the shadow...

I tried to have my camera ready from the other side of the cove to get a better view of the scene...
kameya-cove-2011-08.jpg

Aha...one of the turtles is sticking out its head...
kameya-cove-2011-09.jpg

It's the bigger one of the two...
kameya-cove-2011-12.jpg

kameya-cove-2011-11.jpg

kameya-cove-2011-15.jpg

Then another appeared as well...
kameya-cove-2011-16.jpg

This is the smaller one, with an all-around cute eyes...
kameya-cove-2011-17.jpg

and it got away once it heard my camera click...
kameya-cove-2011-18.jpg

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Very nice. I love the tutorial as well.

I see you got rid of that annoying irrigation bar that the filter comes with. I did the exact same thing two days after I installed mine.

Nice pictures.

kameya

10 Year Member!
SnakeyeZ said:
Very nice. I love the tutorial as well.

I see you got rid of that annoying irrigation bar that the filter comes with. I did the exact same thing two days after I installed mine.

Nice pictures.

Yes, I stayed with the irrigation bar for two months, then it created too much noise and cleaning issues...so I decided to remove it and went with simpler design by using the water house as the output option. With the new water flow option with little water noise, it gives you a zen-like water garden that you can just sit in front of and meditate... ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.