Kaida's new outdoor enclosure

Hurang

Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale
Enclosure Had her first day in her new enclosure. She really loved it, she ate some mango and greens, pooped, pee'd a good amount, explored for a couple hours, nibbled on the African violet, took several dips, then took a nap, overall I'd say she much happier and active. Waiting on some desert tortoise grazing seed mix to arrive then I'll grow some of that in there too. Going to make the walls taller or add in some bamboo fencing along the inside of the bricks but taller, so she's not trying to look over the bricks. Anyways thanks for all the help on here

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Enclosure Had her first day in her new enclosure. She really loved it, she ate some mango and greens, pooped, pee'd a good amount, explored for a couple hours, nibbled on the African violet, took several dips, then took a nap, overall I'd say she much happier and active. Waiting on some desert tortoise grazing seed mix to arrive then I'll grow some of that in there too. Going to make the walls taller or add in some bamboo fencing along the inside of the bricks but taller, so she's not trying to look over the bricks. Anyways thanks for all the help on here
Nice looking but I would definitely suggest making the border a brick or two higher. It's only a matter of time before your tortoise escapes that.20180621_141805.jpg

Hurang

Palmdale
Thanks yeah I noticed her interest in the walls, for now she's only out there when she's being baby sat basically, I'm going to make a top for it too to prevent predators from getting in etc, and add a layer of bricks

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
When I was using cinder blocks I used wood to cap off the corners. If your tort is going to be able to climb over it will most likely be in a corner where they can get good traction.

Hurang

Palmdale
When I was using cinder blocks I used wood to cap off the corners. If your tort is going to be able to climb over it will most likely be in a corner where they can get good traction.
Wood along the inside edge of the blocks or the outside edge?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Wood along the inside edge of the blocks or the outside edge?
At the top. I don't have any pictures from when I had cinder blocks but I just snapped this so you'll get the idea. IMG_20200216_094414667.jpgIMG_20200216_094418976.jpgThat way if the tortoise climbs up the corner there's no way to go over.

Hurang

Palmdale
Oh great idea I can implement that easily, I'll do around all of the edges until I can add a layer of bricks. I dont know much about this kind of thing, but how can I secure the cinder blocks so they wont fall over if my dogs jump against them? I dont want to add cement because I want to be able to easily expand this enclosure. Thanks

Hurang

Palmdale
Also I've been looking for something safe for tortoises to coat the hide I built in, weather proof it. What finish are you using on yours?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh great idea I can implement that easily, I'll do around all of the edges until I can add a layer of bricks. I dont know much about this kind of thing, but how can I secure the cinder blocks so they wont fall over if my dogs jump against them? I dont want to add cement because I want to be able to easily expand this enclosure. Thanks
I used liquid nails to secure the wood to the blocks. I think the way you have them filled with dirt should be fine. They're pretty heavy I doubt your dog can move them.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Also I've been looking for something safe for tortoises to coat the hide I built in, weather proof it. What finish are you using on yours?
I used pressure treated wood. I don't have any advice on how to seal your hide. I took the easy route and just cut a hole in the side of a storage container lol.IMG_20200216_095418307.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fill them with sand and pound some stakes down through the middle.