Juvenile shell - how hard?

aidenb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
I have a juvenile sulcata (about 9cm SCL) and was wondering how hard the shell should be? It's hard to touch (especially on the top) and by no means "leathery" like I've seen young torts with mbd exhibit but if you put some pressure the sides and bottom (not enough to hurt the animal) are somewhat moveable to a slight degree. It still feels hard just has some movement. Is this normal? He's been putting on weight steadily and eating lots

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
I've just never had a tort at this size to know what it's supposed to feel like. I've either acquired them larger or they are still smaller than this guy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds normal. The plastron should have some give to it. I compare it to a plastic butter tub lid. Does have a UV source? Calcium supplements? Varied high calcium, weedy, grassy diet?

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
He's got a powersun MVB, two 36" 10.0 UVB strip lights with reflectors, cuttlebone at all times, I grow
Dandelions and grasses plus supplement with collard if I'm low on other stuff as I usually have it around for my iguana, he gets calcium supplants as well. The only reason I ask is cause while he has as much artificial UVB exposure as possible in doors, his out door time has been limited lately as weather has been cloudy and rainy for the past while.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
I've looked everywhere for a uv meter and can't find an or anyone who can bring one in for me and I don't have a credit card to order one from the states. I have lots of other greens to supplement with but it's hard to ind weeds that's haven't been sprayed and there's no where that sells the seed mixes here in saskatchewan.

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
He does get cactus pads as well and I wasn't aware he could eat pumpkin leaves and flowers so I can give him those from the garden too

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've looked everywhere for a uv meter and can't find an or anyone who can bring one in for me and I don't have a credit card to order one from the states. I have lots of other greens to supplement with but it's hard to ind weeds that's haven't been sprayed and there's no where that sells the seed mixes here in saskatchewan.

I understand. How about mulberry trees? Spineless opuntia can be easily grown in indoor pots. There are lots of good greens from the store other than collards. I like to favor endive and escarole more heavily. Better for your iguana too. Also look for turnip and mustard greens, cilantro, bok choy, watercress, carrot tops, squash leaves and blossoms, and many stores sell little plots of organic wheatgrass. You can amend the grocery store greens by adding finely chopped rehydrated grass hay, or mixing in soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets. Lots of variety is key.

Don't give up. It might take some effort, but your tortoise will thank you later on with good health.

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
He definitely gets as many greens as possible. My iguana gets a mix of collard, mustard, beet tops, arugula, chicory, dandelions, and endive. An the sulcata does get a mix of 8 grasses, dandelion, and zoomed pellets (once a week), i do give all my torts the same mix as the iguana just try to get more weeds and grasses especially for the sulcata.