Juvenile aldabra enclosure

Eredant

Location (City and/or State)
Aalter, Belgium
I will soon be receiving two juvenile Aldabras (100-200g I suspect). Here is the enclosure 200x60cm that I've prepared for them.

As I mentioned in the other post (Indian star enclosure) I've decided to place the water bowl almost directly below the MVB, to ensure high humidity, which hopefully counteracts some of the negative effects associated with the MVB bulbs. I've read that Aldabras love bathing, so they have an extra large 'bath'.

I'll be replacing the strangely placed lightbulb in the back with a CHE, to keep temperatures up during the night.
Depending on where they hide, I may add a plastic box as a hide.

I fully expect the plants to be destroyed by the tortoises, but I'd consider that 'enrichment'.

Feedback is welcome.
7ogXUpR.png

DO3Wlz5.png

VWrdTUG.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just worry that it's not big enough.

I prefer the tube type fluorescent UVB bulb over the Mercury Vapor type bulb. In a closed chamber, the tube light and its ballast keep the temperature up where it needs to be, then when the light goes off at night, I use a radiant heat panel to keep the enclosure warm.

Having that bright light directly over the water may make the water too hot.

Eredant

Aalter, Belgium
I understand the concern and it certainly won't be a long-term enclosure. I'm hoping that this will suffice until spring, having them inside makes it a lot easier to monitor their health.

Regarding the fluorescents, aren't those the ones that can cause eye irritation/damage?

What's too hot? At the moment after having the MVB burning the whole day it is 32°C or about 90°F.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I to think it's going to be too small which can cause health issues and walking/leg issues. The mvb will
most likely still cause pyramiding. I used it in a swampy high humidity closed chamber for leopard hatchlings and they still pyramided.
The tube flourescents are not the problem it's the coiled ones that are the cause of eye problems.
I would really consider a larger enclosure or two separate enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, looks like i'll need to speed up my outdoor enclosure plans.
I will order some of those tube type lamps.
When I got my two Aldabran hatchlings, I housed them in the same shed they would live in as 300lb tortoises. I just sectioned off a smaller area in the shed for them, and made a smaller area in the yard outside the shed for them. As they grew, I made both areas larger, until after about 8 years they had the whole shed and the whole yard.

Eredant

Aalter, Belgium
That's a good idea.

How large is your indoor enclosure? In Clovis do you have periods that you need to keep them inside, or can they always go outside during the daytime?
I'm finding it very difficult to find info on the required enclosure size and how it relates to the size of the animals. We all understand that larger = better, but sadly funds are not unlimited, and larger size will also mean larger heating costs during the winter. What is 'good enough'?

16 m^2 / 170 sq ft
20 m^2 / 215 sq ft
24 m^2 / 260 sq ft

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a good idea.

How large is your indoor enclosure? In Clovis do you have periods that you need to keep them inside, or can they always go outside during the daytime?
I'm finding it very difficult to find info on the required enclosure size and how it relates to the size of the animals. We all understand that larger = better, but sadly funds are not unlimited, and larger size will also mean larger heating costs during the winter. What is 'good enough'?

16 m^2 / 170 sq ft
20 m^2 / 215 sq ft
24 m^2 / 260 sq ft
Their shed was 10'x10' and their yard was 40'x55' (appx). They went into the shed on their own each night, BUT there were occasions when I had to encourage them into the shed. Because of this, the fact they were over 200lbs and I'm an old person, I had to sell them.

When they were younger, the portion of the shed that I blocked off for them was about 3'x10'