Juvenile (3-4 years) Sulcata Care?

TerrapinStation

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, Michigan
No clue on actual age, but our new sulcata was living in a 10 gallon aquarium before we got her, with a household coil bulb for light, no substrate, and table scraps for food.

We have her in a temporary 4' x 2'x 2' closed chamber now, and are trying to get lights, heat and humidity correct.

I know this is not nearly big enough, but it is what we have for right now. This was not a planned purchase/acquisition, more of a rescue, and we are doing the best we can. In my opinion, pretty much anything is better than where she was.

What should we aim for as 4 temperature points? (hide, basking, cool, ambient)

Should we keep high humidity?

She was definitely dehydrated, and in the 2 weeks since we have had her, she has passed urate- heavy discharges, as well as healthy solid waste and dark yellow urine.

We have been doing daily soaks, and she loves to just sit in water dish inside enclosure. Appears to drink heavily while soaking.

Her appetite has been insatiable, we have been going on a mix of grape leaves, red kale, savoy cabbage, romaine, swiss chard, mazuri, Zoomed grassland and Tortoise Supply herbal hay. She also destroyed and ate the 2 jade plants we put in her enclosure. We have testudo seed mix on order, and are sprouting grass to mix in to diet.

We just don't want to shock or upset her with blazing heat and high humidity, if that is not what she is used to.

Does that make sense?

Will post pics of enclosure later, as well as current light and heat setup. IMG_8635.JPG

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
I would add more Mazuri tortoise chow to her diet, & cut back a bit on the dark-leaved vegetables because of their higher-oxalate content. I'm sure you know that dehydration is a real killer, so anything you can do to help clear her kidneys will keep her alive longer. The pyramiding from being fed a high-protein diet adds to the problem, but your diet sounds pretty good. I don't have feedback on temperatures for you, as the temperatures where I live never get above 86 or below 72.

Ken

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd be very concerned about calcium deficiency and lack of UV, as well as the effects of dehydration. Sounds like you've got the dehydration issues solved. I'd sprinkle calcium on the food 3 times a week for a while and offer a cuttlebone too.

UV is critical right now, so get a good HO tube and mount it at the correct height in your chamber.

Look for more weeds and grass to feed too.

Temps should be 80 for ambient day and night, and then offer a 95-100 degree basking spot. Let ambient creep up to 90ish during the day.

Keep humidity around 80%. It won't be an issue. The tortoise will think the life-saving monsoon season has finally arrived.

By the sound of it, I think you saved this one in time. :)

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Thanks @Tom. Got Exoterra Reptiglo T8 Desert bulb in for UV, Zoomed 50 W basking, and a 65 watt flood for ambient. Temps are right in you parameters. I do not have a UV meter, but going off of Exoterra packaging, should be right on with the height of bulb and UV.

Just got Broadleaf mix from Tortoise Supply, will begin planting trays to sprout and cycle.

The farmers markets has been flush with all types of blossoms, greens, sprouts and other oddball stuff. Michigan harvest season is in full tilt, and the farmers like to sell whatever they can while they can.

On another note, bowel movements have been quite regular, large and extremely stinky. I mean, stinky like an infant after amoxicillin stinky. House clearing stinky. Is this normal? or is it the new diet wreaking havoc on tortoise gut?