Just wanted to share an update

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Those "squiggly lines" appear on a lot of torts. Some more so than others. No one seems to be able to tell what causes them but they are totally harmless.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Those "squiggly lines" appear on a lot of torts. Some more so than others. No one seems to be able to tell what causes them but they are totally harmless.

I was wondering about those too for the past few weeks and was freaking out thinking he was starting to go through shell rot. But further research in the forum suggested that these white squiggly marks are commonly found on many tortoises, which makes me less worried about his health. Coincidentally, the swirl marks started showing up shortly before Spike seemed to have hit his growth spurt (he's gained 3 grams since the beginning of January and feels much more solid), so I'm thinking they're part of his growing process.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I was wondering about those too for the past few weeks and was freaking out thinking he was starting to go through shell rot. But further research in the forum suggested that these white squiggly marks are commonly found on many tortoises, which makes me less worried about his health. Coincidentally, the swirl marks started showing up shortly before Spike seemed to have hit his growth spurt (he's gained 3 grams since the beginning of January and feels much more solid), so I'm thinking they're part of his growing process.
Was worried for you myself. Glad it is nothing serious. Your tort is so cute and totally relaxed in your hand