Just wanted to ask about humidity

BMW

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
In the guides I read that sulcata leopard and cherry head need high humidity

For example would it be possible to keep a tortoise outside with low humidity during day

And put her at night inside a humid chamber with 90% humidity and high temps or so

Would this be ok or would it still build pyramids?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Growing babies should be housed mostly indoors in humid closed chambers. An hour of outside time a few times a week is fine, but soak them when they come back in. Babies should not be left outside all day.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I keep my young Cherry head in a closed chamber inside. I put her outside one day a week for about 4hrs for uvb. Growth has been smooth so far.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I imagine it seems counterintuitive to read, 'keep them inside', after all what happens in the wild? They spend most of their time as neonates (babies) hiding from predation. Most hide places are plants' bases with leaf liter and high humidity, or burrows. It takes several years for them to get bigger and walk around. Those first few years they approximate a super nutritious ravioli for any predator.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I imagine it seems counterintuitive to read, 'keep them inside', after all what happens in the wild? They spend most of their time as neonates (babies) hiding from predation. Most hide places are plants' bases with leaf liter and high humidity, or burrows. It takes several years for them to get bigger and walk around. Those first few years they approximate a super nutritious ravioli for any predator.
Yes.
But for a lot of our members, "outside" isn't anything like the tropical environment that they live in in the wild.
Not all "outsides" are the same thing.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
My "outside" time and space for Darwin, my redfoot, is a few hours in a 4x4 enclosure on our lawn on days it gets above 80°F... I hose down the space beforehand, and give him a soak afterwards (NH is pretty dry compared to redfoot homelands).

IMG_1865.jpg

Jamie

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

I had been extrapolating from @Tom 's post with the suggestion that keeping them inside is a best solution, and countering the thought many people express, but 'what happens in the wild?'.

In the wild, all wilds, they find that high humidity micro-climate. So, keeping them inside most of the time in a controlled micro-climate does emulate the wild, at least for those that make it to being adults in the wild.

Does that all make sense?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My "outside" time and space for Darwin, my redfoot, is a few hours in a 4x4 enclosure on our lawn on days it gets above 80°F... I hose down the space beforehand, and give him a soak afterwards (NH is pretty dry compared to redfoot homelands).

View attachment 278037

Jamie
Right now, the U.K is actually hotter than the southern U.S.!
Crazy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I had been extrapolating from @Tom 's post with the suggestion that keeping them inside is a best solution, and countering the thought many people express, but 'what happens in the wild?'.

In the wild, all wilds, they find that high humidity micro-climate. So, keeping them inside most of the time in a controlled micro-climate does emulate the wild, at least for those that make it to being adults in the wild.

Does that all make sense?
Yes
I was just pointing out that some of my answers are based on my experiences.
It's a little careless of me.
South Florida is sub tropical.