Just want to make sure I am doing things correctly.

Joe S

5 Year Member
Howdy folks. So in October my wife and I picked up a leopard tort (gpb) from the tinley park show. Things have been well but I just want to make sure all I doing is correct or if I can improve on anything.

Chuck is about 3.5 inches or so.

Enclosure:
Size: 2'x3'
Substrate: Eco earth, coco choir, spagnum moss. Orchard grass in corners slowly thinning out due to movement.

Chuck has a humid hide that he/she usually sleeps in. It contains the same substrate and I mist it daily. Chuck also had a water bowl that he usually romps through daily.

Temps: basking site is about 95 or so, has a UVB 10.0 over eating and basking areas. Also have a 150 watt ceramic heat emitter that helps to bring the central ambient heat up over the winter. Basement stands at 75 during the day and cools about 5-10 degrees. Does have cooler spots in corners of the table.

Feeding: it was raised on mazuri tortoise food. We use this, one pellet or so a day along with lettuces and dried greens. These include dried dandilion, red clover, blessed thistle, strawberry leaf and dried hybiscus flower ( we rehydrate the flowers). We are slowly trying to convert chuck to the dried greens. I normally rehydrate them and mix those in with the lettuce and mazuri. They tend to have a strong smell when wet. Might be putting him off. We plan to also feed opunta cactus once we can get some. Chuck is fed once daily and bathed twice weekly. We also suppliment with calcium twice weekly.

My concerns and wanted opinions:

Am I practicing correct husbandry for my leopard?

Are the items I am feeding correct? If not what should be altered, what should my main staple food be? Should mazuri be more of a treat rather than daily? What's the best way to go about feeding my dried greens? Should I be adding anything else in?

My biggest concern is I want him to grow nice and smooth. When we got him he was somewhat lumpy. It seems his new growth is smoother but I would like more experienced opinions on that.

Thank you all for reading and for the help with this. I'll attach a few photos of how chuck looks now. ImageUploadedByTortForum1386731143.208300.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386731158.237891.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386731178.135762.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Nice looking tort, but does already have some pyramiding. Please read Toms threads below in my post. The temps should not go below 80 day and night and this is with a humidity of 80% or higher. The basking spot should be 95+. Putting a top on the enclosure will help keep,both temps and humidity up. Also, a larger enclosure is needed. Add on to what you have. Be sure to soak in warm water every day for 20-30 minutes and be sure he can get in and out of his water dish easily. Toms threads will help explain this and your beautiful leopard will helps him grow in smooth new growth.

What your feeding sounds good, I would also add in fresh greens from the grocer. No need to feed lettuce though. Romaine is fine once in a while along with as much of a variety as possible. I have been to that show. I live in Chicago. I have been able to order cactus pads through whole foods. Also, you can order them online. Tortoisesupply.com sells them and other good food items and he, Tyler is a forum member.

Joe S

5 Year Member
Lovely. Thank you for the reply. Not sure how I missed that sticky. Could be I am on the mobile app. Any who, it does appear I have some things wrong, and I need to update the info on the temps as my better half reminded me of something.

A larger enclosure, I suppose I can see this being a smart thing. I am just curious as to how to do that indoors. We live in Minnesota and well we have some nasty winters.

Temp edit:

Daytime temps are currently sitting around 78 or so during the day with a maintained 50-60% humidity. I run a dehumidifier as I keep a wide variety of aquatic turtle species and my water volume is around 800 gallons in the basement.

While I am aware that I still need a 80 degree or so constant temp and a higher humidity, I'll work on it.

I also will note that when we got chuck he had some pyramiding to start with.

Are there some links to point me in the direction of indoor enclosures that would be suitable? I plan to house him outside when the weather permits.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here is a link to some. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-65798.html. Also, some have done a second level. You should see some of these in the link. This time of year, it's easy to get the big plastic totes that are made to store fake Xmas trees. I used two tote boxes and joined them together with a tunnel between the two.
You got him at the Tinley Park reptile show, in Illinois correct? Or do you have a Tinley Park there too? Remember, hot and humid=smooth cold and wet=sick or dead. Don't worry, most of us have been where you are. You got a pretty good start, just some tweeting to do.

Joe S

5 Year Member
Thanks for the link. That's great to know. The totes were an idea, I have another but sadly it's too cold to bust out all the tools and make one.

It was tinley park Chicago, it was fun show

Edit: as for that link I am getting a 404 error on it. I'll see about hunting it down tomorrow. Thanks again!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I soak my baby tortoises in warm water daily for about 15 or 20 minutes.

Joe S

5 Year Member
Thanks tom. I read the care sheet last night and I'll convert things accordingly. Much appreciated.

Joe S

5 Year Member
I just want to thank everyone for their advice and the comprehensive guide. I whipped up something to hold over until summer when I can create a more appropriate winter home for my leopard. I made a tent out of drinking water grade PVC pipe and wrapped it in cling wrap. Not nearly the best looking but it will hold the heat and humidity in at the correct levels. Here is to a new hope for smooth growth and a healthy Chuck.

Thanks again everyone.