Just theoretically dreaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
I know the subject on hybrids is as controversial as same sex marriages but I was wondering what hybrid do you all think would be an interesting mix??? I personally think I would theoretically love to see a 1/2 Chaco 1/2 leopard hybrid. PS: I personally thinks its best to avoid hybrids so its just a question of curiosity

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Same sex marriage? Never heard of such a thing....I suppose everyone is entitled to equal misery...lol....:D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Since this is just for fun, ethics and the controversy aside...it might be cool to see a giant tortoise (Galop or Aldabra) with some vivid coloration of say, a redfoot, radiated, star or leopard.

LOL...maybe one day, I'll get on photoshop and see if I can whip up a halfway decent concept!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
StudentoftheReptile said:
Since this is just for fun, ethics and the controversy aside...it might be cool to see a giant tortoise (Galop or Aldabra) with some vivid coloration of say, a redfoot, radiated, star or leopard.

LOL...maybe one day, I'll get on photoshop and see if I can whip up a halfway decent concept!

An 800 pound Burmese star would be kinda cool.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I'd be interested in seeing if an Aldabra and Galop could reproduce.......I think Taxonomists would have a heart attack with that one.......

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have a few ideas in the works, but this will take years if things even work out in terms of reproductive capability. I should be able to see if Leopcatas are capable of reproducing with one of the parent species in a year or two.

I would like to see combination giants (such as the Galapagos x Aldabra) and combination dwarves. I think the former can be used for reforestation and other possible niche substitutes. I think the latter can take pressure off of keeper burden (space and so forth) or enhance certain aspects of trade (create new markets, which could reduce collection pressure as a side benefit). Then there are the color possibilities, such as with Burmese star x radiated as one example, but I am not as interested in this concept, although I am not against it either. Just not where I plan to put my energy right now. I also think it would be nice to be able to have large tortoises that could brumate in Northern latitudes. One could use some hybrids to put designer fauna on artificial lands (such as the resort islands in places like Dubai) for that kind of draw (for decoration or as utilitarian mini grazers). Finally, the study of such hybrids can provide valuable insight into genetic and behavioral manifestations or perhaps even something medical (such as immunological harmony). I actually have an idea for protein and/or cellular stabilization involving a natural tortoise phenomenon, although that does not require hybridization for study (although it could augment it). Inspiration can come from many unexpected places.

Due to generally high hatchling mortality rate, relatively long time to maturity, and ease of collection or location, invasive potential should be relatively low. I am more concerned with consumption and land development as major risks and these are unlikely to change in big swings anyway. These things are easily managed.

I often wonder if some of the giant leopard stuff came about from a very diluted hybrid lineage in some ancient past, but I would not necessarily believe such unless actual evidence ever surfaces.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
tortadise said:
StudentoftheReptile said:

An 800 pound Burmese star would be kinda cool.

I think any type of tortoise 800 pounds would be cool. :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
EricIvins said:
I'd be interested in seeing if an Aldabra and Galop could reproduce.......I think Taxonomists would have a heart attack with that one.......

Imagine that! A mean aldabra, lol!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Are Galapagos tortoises mean? I have no experience with them.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Although it's not a tortoise, alligator snapping turtle and Galapagos tortoise.

Then sell the offspring to the military.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Baoh said:

Well not really mean, way more territorial and aggressive towards other tortoises. Aldabras tend to get along in large groups without any social issues.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
ALDABRAMAN said:
Baoh said:

Well not really mean, way more territorial and aggressive towards other tortoises. Aldabras tend to get along in large groups without any social issues.

I see. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.