Just sick with worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Duh, sometimes I don't go to page 2 before I post.Sorry, Jack eats mustard greens, dandelions, romaine, red leaf, all types of squash, little bits of peppers, small amount of collard.swiss chard, little fruit like pears, some of that Mazur, that I just got. \Really anything. I purchase a huge amount of all the produce I can get. I will add riddicco sp?(somethin I have never eated) parsley, cilantro.There is a market that sells alot of spanish things I have never even tried, one was a small light green type of squash (and we eat alot of different types, the checkout person couldn't get me to understand what it was, so I just nuked it for a few minutes and after cooling fed it to Jack(minus seeds) he devoured it, I know that was bad, but squash is squash. Haven't seen it since to buy more. The vet wasn't that concerned for all the reasons stated above,particulary because the rocks weren't concentrated in one spot, but I am xraying him next week to see where they are going. I am thinking about removing everything, and try the aspen(ebay?) and then xray again just the make sure he isn't just adding more and I will think they are not moving on.(out) Thanks

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Your question about rocks in South America is a good one. I think in the habitat that they are from is for the most part rock-free being a geologic stable area. I remember reading that flint was a common trade item among the native people pre-contact. I believe contact with rocks in that enviornemt for redfoots is minimal.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Wow, I was being facetious, but it's true, we have some friends that live in a neighboring state (CT) and they were paying for rocks to use for their garden.And where I live it's nothing but rocks and water. Thanks for the input.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Nay I am sure you should be able to find aspen in your larger Pet Stores or perhaps a feed and grain could order some for you. It may be cheaper than paying shipping. I know out here CA it is at Petco and Petsmart several privately owned smaller stores and my local feed and grain place will order it.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Try a local farm store for Aspen, ask for shredded Aspen horse bedding. You can also pick up smaller bags of it at Petco or Petsmart, or pretty much any pet store.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I picked up a couple of bags at my local feed store. Just remember that it is compacted in the bag, so don't dump the whole bag in until you see how much it covers. Glad things are going well!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Ok Dee, you have Russians and leopards.Right? So do you add anything to the Aspen for either? I.m looking into the mulch for Jack. Thanks Na

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Are you supplementing at all Nadine? The diet sounds fine, but you need to supplement and you need to add some protein to his diet.
He's probably eating the rocks because he's deficient in minerals, probably calcium.

Danny

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Danny, Yes 2-3 times a week, I sprinkle(like I am salting something) Rep-Cal Phosphorous free calcum supplement. Should I do it more often or use more? Thanks

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I have not put the aspen in the russians yet. I just put it in my sulcatas enclosure and they seem to love it. I am going to start doing my leopards this weekend. I just put it in plain. One bag really covered alot of space.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jlyoncc1 said:
I picked up a couple of bags at my local feed store. Just remember that it is compacted in the bag, so don't dump the whole bag in until you see how much it covers. Glad things are going well!

Are you telling me that the shavings you buy in a bale bag at the feed store to put in your horse stall are aspen?

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
The bags that I get are not the bale bags, though I wish I could get one that big. These are probably about 1/3 of the size and are marked Aspen. I am trying to find the big ones. Thought they might be more cost effective.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
So Dee,what are you using for the Russians right now?
It seems like Ebay has a 32 ci plus shipping for 16.00 Yvonne what's the grain store price, if I can ask?
I tried 2 grain stores and they never heard of it, although they said to come back and "Laurie" might be able to order it for me, she was able to get Mazur 25 lbs, for 24 dollars. So I might wait

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never priced the shavings at the feed store because I thought they were pine. Next time I go in I'll read the label and price it.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
In the Midwest here we can get a hardwood bedding for stall use. It is aspen and is packaged in either Wisconsin or Minnesota. It is a little coarse for small torts but will work. My suggestion is check out rabbitry supply houses such as Bass. Aspen is commonly used for a nesting material and is a finer cut.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Nay, my russians are currently in a soil/sand 50/50 mix and do well with that. They like it. I am not in a huge rush to change it and probably won't until next winter. For the small bags that I got I think I paid like 12.95 a bag. I bought 2 bags and that was enough to do an enclosure the size of a hot tub, a rubbermaid container that my leo hatchlings are in and I still have 1/3 of a bag left.

Status
Not open for further replies.