Just sick with worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
I am just sick, I wash my dishes with a type of brillo pad, but just rolled up metal, no soap. I am not sure how it got there, ,but I found it in my RF Jack's pool, now it could have been a pekingese, or a cat, but it was all shredded and looked chewed on. Would a tort do that? I have an appointment for xrays tomorrow. I know it would show up on films and possibly might be worried for nothing,but what if it shows he ingested it? What would I do? I just see so much compassion on this board I thought I would express my worries. I'll write tomorrow and let you all know. Thanks Na

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Wow Nadine, I would almost bet it was the dog or the cat. Fingers crossed the radiographs are all clear. :)

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
i hope its not your tort. good luck tomorrow

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I wish you the best of luck...:)

We had a guinea pig that ate her entire metal mesh enclosure in the span of 2 hours...had blood in her urine, 'passed' the mesh and never batted an eye.
Our oldest son (when he was about 2yrs) ate half a stick of deoderant and pulled out carpet and ate that too, that's what I get for trying to shower!

I guess I am trying to say, stay positive...living creatures can be amazingly resilient:D

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Thanks guys, I just re read my post, I hope no one thinks I think less of my dogs or cats!! They just seem to be able to pass things easier, and there are things you can do to help them. Jack is just so special and I feel helpless.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
No need to explain...understood:)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Nay, I would think if it looked chewed on it was probably (hopefully) the dog or cat. Your right it's easier to deal with a dog or cat with something like that than a tort. And I understand the worry you must be going through, please know you and your animals are in our good thoughts and prayers.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Nay, It sounds like a dog or cat thing to me also. But keep us posted, we will all have our fingers crossed!!! HUGS

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
jlyoncc1 said:
Nay, It sounds like a dog or cat thing to me also. But keep us posted, we will all have our fingers crossed!!! HUGS

Hi there, well I am relieved that Jack did not eat any steel wool. But... his belly is full with rocks!!! He pooped today and sure enough, when I went through it,there were rocks in it. Every time I have done a fecal I just scoop up just a tiny bit cause that's all you need. Is this normal? The vet really was not sure, he seems fine eats and drinks and poops. Thoughts?

Attachments

• xray.jpg
    xray.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 47

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
What type of substrat is Jack on? Jack is the redfoot, correct?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What do you have for substrate? If it is sand please remove it now and use paper towels, newspaper, reptile carpet, slate or ceramic tiles.
Patsy

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thats great news Nadine. Glad he is OK. It seems to be a common issue for Torts to eat rocks. Its said that the gravel aids in digestion and is consumed for roughage and minerals. As long as he has normal stools and no blockage I dont think there is cause for alarm. Its not like you can tortsit them 24/7 especially when they are in outdoor enclosures. Just make sure there arent a ton of small rocks in his outdoor enclosure and he should be fine.

PS: Ive started adding crushed oyster shell to my setups and Ive seen some of the torts grazing on them, especially when I first put them in the tanks. With doing so I at least know they are OK for them and provide some calcium.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
yah and the fact of the matter is, in a natural environment i think they all encounter rocks and pebbles. they're gonna eat 'em if they're gonna eat 'em! LOL!

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
It looks like rocks, is it possible they are calcium deposits/stones?

Just curious.

Either way don't let him go swimming without a floatie:p

Glad he's okay!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Glad there is no steel wool! Big sigh of relief!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I'm happy to hear Jack is not able to be picked up with a magnet :p , but now the question is who ate or chewed up the scrubby thingy?? I know someone who’ll be on Poo watch for a while.
(My dog ate a box of dental floss I had left on the coffee table and I was on poo watch for over a week. Luckily she passed it-now my living room is I a floss free zone.)
I Really I am glad everything worked out ok. I wouldn’t think it would be calcium stones I believe they tend to be produced and stored in the bladder, not up in the abdomen. And from my handy dandy Chelonian Anatomy chart it looks like those are in the stomach and intestines. But I’m not a vet – I could be wrong.
Congrats on Jack being fine.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm glad Jack didn't eat the scrubby pad. :D I though would be concerned, not that you already aren't. A few rocks are fine in the stomach and intestine, but that is a ton of rocks.
He is either lacking minerals in his diet or is just plain hungry. I've seen tortoises eat the strangest things when they are hungry.
I'd keep on poo patrol and save all the rocks he passes and try to get pictures of them. It'll help figure out whats up.
Also what exactly is his diet like, what are you feeding, what are you supplementing with and how often for both.

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wow that is an impressive rock collection. Glad it's not the pad in there, but it does look like if you don't change something diet/environment a future problem could be in the making.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Yes, Jack's the redfoot and he's on dirt with moss mixed. For 5 years, I have brought him inside for winter and had him on pretty much just moss and hay. This year I added dirt to make more of a burying area(I've learned much here) He has his moist area, and the rest is a mixture. I am taking another xray next week and looking for that aspen stuff a few people have mentioned here.
Could this be normal, like a bird needs to grind their food with rocks in their gizzard? I have had him outside all summer in a big yard, most of it is planted but theres areas that are dirt. And when he eats the dandelions, sometimes I have seen him rip up the whole thing, roots and all. Isn't there rocks in South America? Darn steel wool!! I would've never known!

Status
Not open for further replies.