just picked up this guy

dawn1982

hi everyone, i have just picked up a 2 year old and his tank. Ive been looking up info and details. Alot of sites just contradicts each other or just does not sound right. So would like to know where to progress from here for a happy healthy tortoise. I do know the strip light at the back needs replacing and im gonna get a new water bowl as in worried his ones too deep. Going to get cuttle fish and calcium dust for food. Organic food as much as i can but now allowing weeds to grow in my garden. Any tips advice etc for a newbie. His been roughly aged at two. He came with a dimming habistat so what temperature should i set it too? Sorry just don't want to screw this up

dawn1982

sorry my laptop is dead and cant post pictures on my phone. His a Hermann he came in a 3 foot vivarium with heat light one end a strip light that stopped working during transporting tank which is clipped on back of tank about 5 inches above the tortoise. He has a large rock for basking a large bowl but gonna replace as its about 4 inches deep which i think is too deep for him.

dawn1982

i will try and get some pictures posted up tomorrow. There is one slate on his back on of the last ones that really sticks out. I would like to check just in case its pyramid and then i can make adjustments. All so how much food i don't want to over feed him

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to see photos of your tort.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes. Looking forward to see your new Torts and enclosure. Welcome.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
congrats!!!!!!
i will try and get some pictures posted up tomorrow. There is one slate on his back on of the last ones that really sticks out. I would like to check just in case its pyramid and then i can make adjustments. All so how much food i don't want to over feed him

congrats on your new tort!!!! he has some pyramiding but is fine and an over grow beak which is an easy fix with some cuttle bone and feeding him on a rock:).

dawn1982

i am picking up cuttlefish new bowl and strip light as well as a hiding place today oh and temperature monitors. Does any one have experience with the habistat and what it should be set too it says dimming. Sorry just have no idea what it is

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He is beautiful. Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here. What made you decide to get a tortoise?

dawn1982

He is beautiful. Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here. What made you decide to get a tortoise?
ive always wanted one but never thought id be able to afford one (3 kids and use to live in flats with mould). But we have live in a lovely house for over a year now with a lovely garden. Id been mucking around with someone i talk to through a Facebook group saying id steal his two. His circumstances have changed slightly and no longer had space for two vivariums. So asked if id like the younger boy and his vivarium. He said they are illegal to sell and as i have tree frogs (4 years ive had the frogs) and recently our parting mantis passed. I jumped at the chance but everything happened within a few days as i was expecting him to change his mind. He confirmed i could have it Saturday and we picked him up Sunday. I think it was one of the right time right place things. His kept his 4 year old female and i have the two year old. Now in trying to study the info for care and make slow adjustments to his tank so not to stress him out. But alot of info contradicts on different pages plus i try to use common sense like i do with frogs so no heat mats as some places have recommended them. Also i have now downloaded a app that shows good and bad foods for them. Its gonna be a learning curve for a bit but in making life long plans for him.

dawn1982

some more advise would be appreciated. I dont have many local stores, its mainly a Asda and sometimes they have a fruit and veg stall. Pet shop in our town can order bits in but takes a week. What are the best foods for him to eat that wont affect his digestive system. Today i got a mixed lettuce bunch that comes in soil that i can plant and grow but i know its a high water contents rather then fiber rich

dawn1982

what other things can i use to entertain him. At night he keeps trying to dig at the side of his tank and keeps trying to get through the glass. He comes down stairs at lunch times for an hour or so to give him exercise and stimulation. But i do make sure he doesn't get to cold.

Alaskamike

South Florida
what other things can i use to entertain him. At night he keeps trying to dig at the side of his tank and keeps trying to get through the glass. He comes down stairs at lunch times for an hour or so to give him exercise and stimulation. But i do make sure he doesn't get to cold.
A ll torts dig sometimes at the sides of their enclosures. But if they can see out (like glass or fence) it seems their logic is they can get out. I would suggest you cover the lower part of the glass so he can't see through it.
Good fortune :)