Just picked up a Sully today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I just wanted to post pics of a little Sully I got a call on and picked up today. My dogs vet has a very nice nurse that has a DT. She called me today and asked if I could take a little Sulcata that a man had brought in and said his wife was afraid of it and he couldn't keep it. So I stopped by after work and this is what I got home with. I will be keeping it for awhile then will rehome him/her. Thinking of calling it Phil. Sounds like a dignified large tort name what do you guys think?

He/She is 6 cm and 55 grams.
P1010054.jpg

that wonderful belly shot
P1010056.jpg

That oh so undignified held in the air face shot :rolleyes:
P1010058.jpg

and of course the Butt shot. Love those two little spurs on each thigh :)
P1010066.jpg

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Awwww gotta love the butt shot!! In the first picture he looks like a little bottle cap (the metal ones) with a little head.. So cute, how can someone be so afraid of him???

M

Maggie Cummings

He's lighter then most Sulcata. Is he hard? The plastron shot looks odd, but I don't know why. He's cute, too bad I know what monsters they become.:D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Gulf Coast I know he is sweet. I think it may have been an impulse buy the wife didn't like. But who knows. I have a friend that is afraid of reptiles in general but she is begining to warm up to my torts :)

Maggie his carapace and plastron are both hard. The Nurse told me this large man came in and had it in a small box and set it on the counter and said he couldn't keep it because his wife was afraid of it and walked out of the vets office leaving the tort behind. I don't know much about Sullys other than they are eating machines, get huge,can steal your heart in a second like Squirt did mine and I am sure this one will too, and are about 2 inches at birth and usually weigh between 35-45 grams when they hatch. I have read they can gain 3-6 gr every week or two. so I guessed this one to be about a month to 6 weeks old. I can still see a little bit of egg tooth left. I'll get another plastron shot maybe tomorrow night and post it hopefully its just my great photography that makes it look odd. :p :rolleyes:

M

Maggie Cummings

Take it from me, you need to find a home for him right away...or he'll live with you forever! They have great personalities...he'll steal your heart

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Maggie I know. I had one for some time and sent her to Dee in NJ. Its the one she calls Squirt. And when you said lighter I thought weight, but I think you may have meant color, duh :rolleyes: its been a long day. His belly is really light colored almost a white cream.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Awwww he is soooo cute !!!! I hope I can have a sully one day when we have a biiiig garden back home.

By the way Phil is a cool name Robyn !! :D

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Crazy1 said:
Maggie I know. I had one for some time and sent her to Dee in NJ. Its the one she calls Squirt. And when you said lighter I thought weight, but I think you may have meant color, duh :rolleyes: its been a long day. His belly is really light colored almost a white cream.

LOL.. I thought she meant the same thing.. I was thinking OMG SHE IS JUST TO FREAKING GOOD!!! How the heck can she tell that??? DUH :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Cute, who could be afraid of that?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Congratulations Robyn :D
Your little one is a real cutie and he has such a cute face and a cute tortoise butt :D.
I have to admit, I understand the lady, he looks very dangerous and very scary :p (sorry I had to say it :D)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw-w! What a cute little baby! Maybe the wife was really afraid of the salmonella thing. Who knows? At any rate, the guy did the right thing. Your new baby is quite a bit lighter in color than most sulcatas. They're just so clean and shiney when they're little babies. Pretty soon he'll have that poop mustache, and poop stain all over his bottom side. Enjoy him while he's small. He won't stay that way for long!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Oh, Yvonne I do not intend on keeping him. I am a Renter and my landlord would flip if she saw a huge Tort digging up her property. Took Years to get her to where she is today letting me actually put plants in the ground in the back yard. LOL. I just want to make sure it's healthy before it goes to another home. It is hard as Maggie said, they steal your heart, but I know that they are going to a good home when they leave me. And I usually get updates and pics of them in their new homes. Dee has been great with updates with pics of Squirt. I'm so glad she went to Dee, she was such a shy and I assume abused little baby. She was quite pyramided when I got her. But Dee has assured me she is really coming into her own now.

A NAME: I could use your help ! :rolleyes: :)
I almost called him Silver after what was written on the box I got him in, plus he does look so shiny and new. Then a friend suggested I call it Phil. I'm just not sure about the name Phil. Just isn't seeming to stick. Any suggestions???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like it when a baby gets a baby name. Then when they grow up to be huge bulldozers that baby name is even cuter...Sweetie, Punkin, Twinkle Toes, Snookums. And then there are the people names...Jane, PHIL, Bill, Dave, Saundra...you get the picture!

My best friend had a mare named Jane. For some reason this just really grabbed my fancy. Who ever heard of naming a horse "Jane?"

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yeah he is really scary Robyn. I don't quite understand when people are scared, but I've got to admit that when my son Nathan (22 yrs.) comes over and I try to get him to hold Dale he doesn't like it. He says that's freaky. He says that Dale's looks like he's prehistoric and he doesn't deal well with that. Anyway, I like the name Oliver I think he looks like one. Just a thought. He is so cute I always think I would love to have one, but then I think of Dudley and Bob and realize how big they do get and they're a handful I'm sure. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the laugh! I don't have my speakers turned on, but that was just as funny as a silent movie!

Yvonne

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Oh Yvonne, You have to turn your speakers on , it's so funny. And by the way, I used to clean stalls to be able to ride at this barn when I was just driving. And the BEST horse there was a big black beauty named Jane. You made me remember her when you said, Who would name a horse Jane?"
And yes that little beast is also a beauty Robyn. It's funny how folks will plop down all this money for a impluse purchase, than just plop it down on a vets counter.
Good luck placing him, I would have a tough time. But I do it with dogs alot and the first placement WAS the hardest.
NA

Status
Not open for further replies.