Just noticed soft/flexible shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haira32

5 Year Member
I have had my tortoise for a two weeks now and I just noticed when I picked him up that the back of his shell is either soft or flexible. It is the small part right under the last scute that flares out over his tail. Normal or not?? He is just over two inches long, and the rest of his shell feels okay, I think. I have immediately put him in for a second soak today, here is the picture of him. He is in a large steralite bin with the cool side of his tank at 82, and the basking spot is 100 with 80% humidity. He eats dandialioin, clover, grass, kale, and some garden greens daily with calcium. There is a UVB light, he also gets a half hour outside 2-3 times a week and a daily 20-30 minute soak. I do not know the conditions he was kept in before I got him. He has been active, eating, pooping, and peeing well but I am now really worried because I have not noticed this before. The rest of his shell feels hard but when I run my finger over that small section it feels like it flexes in a bit.

2lmkr2s.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I really can't help you. Just want to say you should cut the calcium to only 2-3 times a week and give him a cuttle bone for when he wants more. Hope all is well, someone else should be able to give some suggestions.

Haira32

5 Year Member
He does not get the calcium everyday, but every other day which turns into 3-4 times a week, I can cut that back to 2-3. He also has a small water saucer always full.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
This is normal for all torts and turtles if they are really young. The very back of the shell is a little soft. As long as its not crazy soft I wouldn't worry.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It should fill like a plastic lid . It will harden with time . I asked this same question a month ago . So I sent Tom a pm this is what he told me .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.