1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Just got her last night

Discussion in 'Leopard tortoises' started by LolaMyLove, Feb 28, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. LolaMyLove

LolaMyLove Active Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    I just picked up this girl(so I was told) last night from a neighbor. She said the tortoise is about 2 yrs old. The pyramiding is pretty bad (she was kept in a gerbil cage). I have her now in a closed chamber enclosure but do you think it’s going to help stop it from getting any worse? Also any advice for a new Leo mom. I have several Russians and a box turtle, but this is my first Leopard and I’m so excited.
    IMG_3969.jpg IMG_2012.jpg
    Kasia likes this.
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Yes it will help to keep her in high humidity at least until 3 years and then you could switch too a humid hide. She is too young to sex yet.
    Take a look at the leopard or sulcata care sheets. They are raised the same.
  3. Ray--Opo

Ray--Opo Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Palm Bay Fl
    Nice markings. Welcome to the forum
  4. Lyn W

Lyn W Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

UK
    She's lovely!
    My leopard was about 9 inches long when I first bought it home.
    We went to a vet (experienced with reptiles) for a health check who told me I had a female because of the tail, and the plaston wasn't concave enough.
    I called her Lola too.
    Many months later Lola was proudly showing me that she was in fact a he - not a pretty sight at all!
    He's still called Lola - because of the Kinks song!

My Lola has some pyramiding too. He is too big for a closed chamber and I struggle with humidity levels in his room but I do soak him most days and although the pyramiding will always be there it doesn't seem to be any worse.

Welcome to the forum - it's taught me all I know about leopards and torts in general, and after almost 5 years I still learn something new each day.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  5. LolaMyLove

LolaMyLove Active Member 5 Year Member

Walnut Creek, Ca
    I guess I should have introduced myself a little better. I’ve been a member here for years. This is just my first Leopard. I found the forum years ago when I took in my first Russian. You all have helped me so much over the years. Started with a tiny tortoise table and now my heard has a full time outdoor 9x40’ enclosure. Times have changed . My Russians are now breeding, or shall I say did succeed in breeding a baby named Taco... but I keep my male separated and don’t plan to let them breed again. (I’ll run out of room and I can’t part with them ) Lola is my big beautiful Russian and the mom to Taco. Love her to pieces... she is the friendliest tort I have ever met and loves sitting with you getting her head rubbed. However, I just can’t stop staring at my new baby Leopard... name tbd but leaning towards Thelma. The neighbor told me she’s been feeding her grass clippings and strawberries , she also sold her to me for $40.00 so I’m pretty happy all the way around. This beautiful little girl needs a better life then she had. Can’t wait to watch her grow. More pictures to follow.