Just got 6 month old baby and it....

jamespc

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach, CA
Hi there. Yes, he is moving around more but is still pretty shy. He eats, sleeps, poops. I bath him every other day and he seems to be coming around a bit. I was hoping to "bond" with him over Christmas but I think it will take him some time to mature. How old is yours in the picture? I like the definition in his shell.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
My girl was already 2+ years old when she came to me in June, so I don't know if my experiences will always apply to a baby. Sunshine is now 2.5 years old.

I bonded first with her by hand feeding her. Now I know that hand feeding is frowned upon; you could lose your hand when feeding a full grown sulcata LOL. But she couldn't even break my skin at this point, so I don't feel that as a danger now or in the future. Anyway, I started with the hand feeding which she liked right away. Then an occasional tentative touch under her chin. Now she stretches her neck for neck rubs. And - this is crazy - she seems fond of me rubbing her front legs. She responds to my voice.

When I first picked her up, she would urinate and defecate (assuming that was fear, trying to hide her scent, something like that). I probably picked her up only once in the first month, once or twice in the second month, and so forth. She does not urinate and defecate any more, does not flail around, doesn't try to run away -- I can't read her mind but I don't think I'm scaring her any more.

Have you named your little one yet?

jamespc

Long Beach, CA
His name is Anubis. Thanks for your description. It seems like mine is doing great and what he is exhibiting is normal for babies. It should be interesting to see him open up and become more adventurous and time goes on.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Thank you all for getting back to me. I gave him a brief bath and put him back, he ate 2 helpings of shredded lettuce, and went to hide again. It looks like it will take him some time to get acclimated but he does seem healthy, or to at least have a healthy appetite.

View attachment 256097
make sure the the temp is high enough..a basking temp of 90-95F.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
I'm raising right now my 4 cb babies to nice size meaning a basking light with 90-95F and plenty room to run. Their behavior show also hiding after morning eating of mixed greens and hey to nibble, after several hours they come out of their hiding and eat some more. I offer a water bowl not to deep to drown.
In spring they are ready if somebody is interested. I like to raise them bit larger so they have a nice start in their new home. The pic does not show the smooth shell they have. contact: [email protected]

Attachments

• 20180926_063616_resized.jpg
    20180926_063616_resized.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20181029_073645_HDR_resized.jpg
    20181029_073645_HDR_resized.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 57