Just got 6 month old baby and it....

jamespc

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach, CA
Hi there!

I just received my new baby yesterday! It sat for long while, ate a pile of lettuce when I was not looking, and then burrowed with only its butt showing and has not moved for over 12 hours! Is this normal behavior?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

Seems VERY normal for a brand new arrival to walk about, maybe a nibble, then dig in! It’s probably a bit scared, not sure where it is, how it got there, is it SAFE!?

Give it time to acclimate, warm up, check things out on its’ own schedule.

Make sure that your temps, lighting, hide, humidity, substrate is all good. Give it time to settle in and be safe.

Check out Chris’ guide - https://www.hermannihaven.com/egyptian-tortoise-care-sheet

Good luck and Welcome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You got an egyptian tortoise? they're so pretty! Congratulations.

Welcome to the Forum!

Babies are prey, so they hide a lot.

drew54

Indiana
Hi there!

I just received my new baby yesterday! It sat for long while, ate a pile of lettuce when I was not looking, and then burrowed with only its butt showing and has not moved for over 12 hours! Is this normal behavior?

Do you have pictures?

jamespc

Long Beach, CA
Thank you all for getting back to me. I gave him a brief bath and put him back, he ate 2 helpings of shredded lettuce, and went to hide again. It looks like it will take him some time to get acclimated but he does seem healthy, or to at least have a healthy appetite.

IMG_5532.jpg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Thank you all for getting back to me. I gave him a brief bath and put him back, he ate 2 helpings of shredded lettuce, and went to hide again. It looks like it will take him some time to get acclimated but he does seem healthy, or to at least have a healthy appetite.
He's a cutie! Congratulations!

drew54

Indiana

Good looking tortoise! Keep the pics coming!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Not actual shredded lettuce? That doesn't have any nutrients at all. might as well give him water. There's a library list of foods here for him though. Oportunia cactus pads, hibiscus, Rose of Sharon, store-bought mushrooms... I say store-bought because I don't know which ones are poisonous or not. If they're bought at the store... there edible. Lol

jamespc

Long Beach, CA
Not actual shredded lettuce? That doesn't have any nutrients at all. might as well give him water. There's a library list of foods here for him though. Oportunia cactus pads, hibiscus, Rose of Sharon, store-bought mushrooms... I say store-bought because I don't know which ones are poisonous or not. If they're bought at the store... there edible. Lol

Thank you for the tip! I was just feeding butter lettuce with vitamin powder. I have hibiscus in the back yard so that will work out just fine. Im cautious about succulent leaves, but might try that too.

drew54

Indiana

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida

drew54

Indiana
Thanks...I wanted to lead this owner to the site with all the food choices for his species but didn't know how...um wait. The tortoise is an Egyptian...not a sulcata. I know there's one out there for Egyptians.

The diet works for all species.

Dena

New York

View attachment 256097
Oh my gosh! He is so cute! We got a Russian Tortoise at 6 months old. The first two days, he hid. It took him a good two weeks or so to start feeling comfortable, have a routine. He is showing completely normal behavior, just make sure you soak him often so he doesn’t get dehydrated. Congrats!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome he is gorgeous.
What substrate are you using there?

Jerry's Mom

MA

View attachment 256097
He's so cute [emoji7]

jamespc

Long Beach, CA
Hi and welcome he is gorgeous.
What substrate are you using there?

Hi there. I have a layer of stones covered by charcoal, covered by potting soil, covered by sand which is supposed to have calcium in it, and then finally a thin layer of crushed oyster shells, the type you buy for birds to nibble on.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Lovely looking tortoise ... I can't wait to see and hear more from you both.

Jamie

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

View attachment 256097
Oh he is so cute! And a warm welcome to the forum, to both of you.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
I expect he is out and about more now? Mine hid the first four days I got her and I thought she was hurtling toward death. Nothing could be further from the truth! She has gained about an ounce over the past few months. Sometimes after a meal of Mazuri (which she gets once a week), she will sleep the whole next day in a hide (must be a satisfying meal for her).

I believe that sulcatas are a grass eating species, like leopards. The testudos do not eat grass/hay; their primary food source is weeds and flowers. So you might be better served to look at food lists for the Mediterranean species such as Hermans, Russians (aka horsefields), marginated, Greeks.

Absolutely gorgeous little one. :)