Just found a tortoise in my yard in Southern CA (Desert). Can anyone identify?

Misti Chastain

I would really appreciate help on identifying this tortoise. If he's native, I need to find a safe and appropriate place to release. If he's a pet, I would like to attempt to find his owner.
Thanks! 17352086_10211156483721334_8934898609612531493_n.jpg17553595_10211156484361350_5937562029533420322_n.jpg17554056_10211156483321324_872196495468922583_n.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That's a female red eared slider. Trachemys scripts elegans

They are not a protected nor original native turtle to California. They have been released commonly by people and have become established in many locations through California. It is a water turtle and needs to be kept in water and can only eat submerged in water

Misti Chastain

Thank you for the information. I found her in the desert....miles from any water. How sure are you? Not to insult you in any way, but I don't want to kill her by submerging her in water. She has eaten a slice of banana since she got here 2 hours ago. Can you tell me how deep the water should be? Thank you

Misti Chastain

So she finally poked her head out. I actually had to leave my camera on and leave the room to capture this. There is no red on her head. Does that change anything? Or is she still a red eared slider? 17498954_10211157517467177_6843635420184962208_n.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also back up Mark's i.d. of the turtle. You found it in the desert because some stupid, uncaring fool released the poor animal out there. She was very lucky you found her before she died.

Place her in a shallow bucket of water so she doesn't have to strain to get her head up to breathe. Water turtles that have been out of water for a long time have trouble submerging and need to be in shallow water until they get rehydrated.

It is illegal to release these turtles out into the wild in California. If you don't know someone with a fenced in pond, then see if you can find a turtle rescue that will take her.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Not all sliders have that distinct red mark by the ear. She could be another type of slider.
I attached a picture of Pogo, my Red-Eared Slider male slider.

Attachments

• Pogo.JPG
    Pogo.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 34

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern CA humane societies are flooded with female sliders but I am sure they would probably take her. If I ever win the lottery, I hope to have a large outside heated pond for these unwanted female sliders. Ah...to dream........
Don't need a heated pond for any U.S. turtle. They do better without a heater in the pond.

Go for it!!

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Actually, Pogo (the RES) got pneumonia one time and a different time, he suffered a collapsed lung, because of the cold pond water (says his vet). I learned this lesson the hard way ($900 later.....). My small outside pond doesn't heat up and tends to stay around 55 Fah even on hot summer days. I felt awful over stressing him out so. Maybe because Pogo is captive bred or because he is young? My herp vet said RES should not be in water less than 65 degrees otherwise they are prone to respiratory infections. It could also be that Pogo has a weak constitution which means he fits well into my household! Except for Tucker the Tortoise, all of my pets are "special needs" animals. Anyway.....I am still hoping to win the lottery!!!!:D

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Actually, Pogo (the RES) got pneumonia one time and a different time, he suffered a collapsed lung, because of the cold pond water (says his vet). I learned this lesson the hard way ($900 later.....). My small outside pond doesn't heat up and tends to stay around 55 Fah even on hot summer days. I felt awful over stressing him out so. Maybe because Pogo is captive bred or because he is young? My herp vet said RES should not be in water less than 65 degrees otherwise they are prone to respiratory infections. It could also be that Pogo has a weak constitution which means he fits well into my household! Except for Tucker the Tortoise, all of my pets are "special needs" animals. Anyway.....I am still hoping to win the lottery!!!!:D
Rubbish! Your vet is wrong. Mine are all captive bred and raised initially indoors from hatchling. Some, like my Suwanee Cooter - who is 33yrs old now - is not even technically from a part of the US where they would really brumate (hibernate). All thrive and breed in an outdoor pond that gets 40F in the winter. The problem is only if you have them where they are not brumating, and the water is cooler, they must have a way to heat their body temp up to the mid 80's. Just went outside and took this picture for you. The pond water is 60.5f right now. If I shoot their shell with a heat gun, I get 90f. It is 62F outside temp.

IMG_5133.JPG

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Perhaps you're right. I know nothing about Cooters I just know my little RES has gotten sick so much. Last summer alone, he visit the doctor 21 times!

I am envious of your pond, in my world, you have won the lottery.

Attachments

• Pogo.JPG
    Pogo.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 21

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just want to add to my reply, that I wasn't just being flippant. The advice given by a trained professional we go to as a source of trusted information is unfortunately so wrong, so much of the time with chelonians. They can't simply say they don't have that expertise, but instead give out bad advice.

This case is not only bad advice, but harmful advice. As here, someone may then conclude they need a heated pond, when in fact THAT would be a source of very likely illness and not at all healthy for the turtle. A heated pond MIGHT work for temperate turtles if you had AMPLE basking sites with good basking light and heat provided and used to shift an artificial daylight period. Temperate turtles are not wired to have water temperatures higher than outside daily temperatures. There is definite relationships between sun height, angle of solar penetration to the water, corresponding UV index with higher UVA levels triggering activity, angle of the sun for solar heating of the shell, etc., etc., etc. If water temps are kept unnaturally high for the time of year - enough where metabolism cannot effectively slow down, yet low solar angle, low UVI, shortened daylight hours, cloudy days, cool air temperature that prevent normal body heating to the 80's - all will lead to probable enteritis, respiratory problems, etc.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Perhaps you're right. I know nothing about Cooters I just know my little RES has gotten sick so much. Last summer alone, he visit the doctor 21 times!

I am envious of your pond, in my world, you have won the lottery.
Yes: Mark's pond is the kind of pond I dream of!!!!! :)

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Rubbish! Your vet is wrong. Mine are all captive bred and raised initially indoors from hatchling. Some, like my Suwanee Cooter - who is 33yrs old now - is not even technically from a part of the US where they would really brumate (hibernate). All thrive and breed in an outdoor pond that gets 40F in the winter. The problem is only if you have them where they are not brumating, and the water is cooler, they must have a way to heat their body temp up to the mid 80's. Just went outside and took this picture for you. The pond water is 60.5f right now. If I shoot their shell with a heat gun, I get 90f. It is 62F outside temp.

View attachment 203316
Mark,
How many turtles do you have? Are they different species?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Mark,
How many turtles do you have? Are they different species?
I don't know exactly as I try to keep the pond as natural as possible, and many of the turtles lay eggs that I do not incubate, but let hatch in place. When I find a baby in the pond, I will take it in for the first year to get size. Some I do incubate if I see where they have laid, and especially if it is a spotted turtle nest. So I have about 50-60 turtles in the pond. 11 different species. All U.S. turtles.