Just Double Checking with you all

kaycov

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lexington
I always am concerned about heat for my boys (I'm saying boys because I really do think they are) so I have them in four-foot in diameter pool with coconut coir as substrate. (If I use the orchard bark, which I have, the one tort will eat it. I've seen some in his poop!). I have a ceramic heat lamp, UVB bulb with humidifier (just ordered another one yesterday because this one is on its last leg). I have them in my sun/Florida room, and I heat that separately so to ensure the entire room is warm, and their enclosure is even warmer. They get a soak every night and do plenty of poops in the water although there are rare evenings when they don't poop at all. I have the two halves of a small dog crate as hides, and they seem happy with that.

The larger one eats his Mazuri most nights, the smaller one lets me know what he thinks of it as he crawls over it and smashes it flat. They get a variety of greens and also like tuna fish which I share with them when I have it any fish, really, and eggs). They know when I feed the dogs and will scramble over the counter to grab a couple of kibble. No, they are never on the floor with the dogs.

Outside, I built a 6' x 8' enclosure for them on the grass in the back yard. I am changing the top (right now it's only wire mesh which works but is a pain. I'm building a frame with the wire in it with hinges and a hook latch. I have another couple of halves of a dog crate in there for hides, put coconut coir under the hides and around that area. I've picked up some nice, rough rocks and put them around and a small "pond" that I put in a corner. They seem happy and content. I'll be planting some tasty treats for them in the spring. But they need names. I would like to know if they truly are males (about a year and a half old) so if I post pix here, will you guys let me know if you can? Thanks, k

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll need to see pictures of the enclosures, please.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Your post is a bit confusing because I thought you were asking about their enclosure too. Although it would still be great to see pics of it!

As far as gender goes, folks here will give you their best guess if you post pics of the tort's underside. But from what I gather, you still can't be 100% certain for another year or so, or until they give obvious signs (like the male flashing his goods).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I live in Florida.
Most days my sun room has almost 80% humidity. So closing the top of an enclosure is not needed. I don't know if yours is humid enough. In fact, I seriously doubt that it is. Closing off the top is what is called creating a "Closed Chamber" enclosure. It holds in humidity and warmth.
You want/need over 70% humidity. That's very difficult unless you also live in the tropics, or cheat and make a closed chamber.
The UV "Bulb" you described sounds like it might be a compact, coiled CFL. Those screw in, corkscrew looking UV bulbs should not be used. Use a strip florescent or just let your tortoises get actual sunshine a few hours a week and just don't worry about that UV altogether. But ditch that bulb.
Keep in mind that sunlight through window glass or window screen will provide heat, but little to no UV. Provide a shady area whenever your Redfoot are in the sun as they can and do get overheated.
Now for all of that heating....Your ideal daytime temperature is an overall mid 80s temperature. Much more than 90 will make Redfoot uncomfortable. So you want warm. Not hot.
At night, it can dip into the low 70s. Even cooler on occasion. But not by much. And not for long.
The lighting can be anything in the cool spectrum. Including just a simple house hold type light. But avoid bright, harsh lights.
Lastly, sexually adult Male Redfoot tortoises will NOT do well together.
If you are correct, and they are boys, prepare to keep them apart sooner than later.
Photos would be great.
Also make sure to check out the Redfoot foods list. Redfoot can eat a huge assortment of things. And they can consume fruit unlike most other species. In fact 40% or more of the diet can be fruit.

Last edited: