Just bought a 4 year old Aldabra Tortoise and I have ?

Diana1973

I have owned (and LOVED) Sulcatta's, but this is the 1st Aldabra I have purchased. Kona, we named him/her, is 4 years old and we are currently having a suitable home made before we bring him/her home. Can you tell me what types of fruit and veggies to feed Kona, how often and how much? Also, any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Kona.jpg
    Kona.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 131

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
You'll enjoy following along with @ALDABRAMAN 's threads. He has a large adult group and shares wonderful photos.

I'm not sure the answer to your question, I don't have Aldabra experience but someone will be along shortly.
Congrats!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Beside the grazing that Aldabramans tortoises do, he feeds orchard and alfalfa hay, optunia cactus pads and treats of bell peppers, water melon and pumpkin. He also feeds Mazuri. I don't know how often he does the treats or Mazuri.
Where are you located, would help to know what you have available.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Congrats on Kona! Aldabraman is the best resource, but (no offense) many folks are great resources and info on Aldabra care is readily available. I think if you have sulcatta experience, much of that transfers in terms of diet - hay and more hay, with grazing available, supplemented with fresh stuff.

Personally I've never known really how much Mazuri to feed. I think it's a pretty good product, especially the new stuff, and especially in my climate (Minnesota).l, so I supplement with it.

Mine just turned 4 last month, got him/her at 1 year and 1 pound. Would you share the size and weight of yours?

Looking forward to seeing pics as well! Best of luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only give fruit as an occasional treat. Aldabran tortoises are grazers, eating grass, weeds and leaves. My Aldabran pasture consists of Bermuda grass, clover, winter weeds, dichondra and a bit of fescue. The more you 'feed' them, the less they will graze. I give my Aldabran tortoises a big serving of Mazuri Tortoise Diet once a week.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Let's see: in order, we feed ours Timothy hay, hibiscus, & pretty much any weeds. Mazuri twice a week, & fruit once or twice a week, depending on what our mango tree & mountain apple trees are dropping. About once a month, I buy each one a head of cabbage or lettuce, & let them chow down on junk food.

Ken

SoCalKona

Hello,

Diana's husband here. Thank you all for your comments and feedback. We're trying to do the best for Kona and thank you all for your comments. Thought I'd ask another questions since we're newbies with the Aldabra. Kona isn't home yet, we're getting ready to welcome him/her so we're doing our best to make sure he/she is safe and happy. One thing of concern are the rocks in the backyard. We're not sure if this is a danger for a 4yr old Aldabra like Kona. I've tried to include the photo of the rocks we're concerned with. We were told Kona could eat them. I wasn't sure if that's true or not but thought I'd ask fellow owners and enthusiasts. Are these rocks dangerous? Could Kona indeed swallow them? Thank you in advance for your input.

IMG_7660.jpg

5DF414F1_F471_42DE_B4CD_0F311852B983.jpg

F05_E76_A0_7352_46_BF_BD9_A_94_F3_F8_EE6_F37.jpg

1534810_E_23_A4_413_D_ADA0_668_DB09092_C4.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it were me, I would be worried about them and would remove them or if that can't happen, I would try to cover them. Hopefully @ALDABRAMAN or @Yvonne G has had some experience with rocks and aldabras.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have a larger grass area then in the pic? I do see there is a lot of stones and cement but not a lot of grass.

SoCalKona

Do you have a larger grass area then in the pic? I do see there is a lot of stones and cement but not a lot of grass.

Thanks for the feedback Wellington. The yard goes backwards from where I was standing. It's all rocks behind me. To the right where you see the grass it continues toward the right.

Trying to figure out what options we might have....removing, covering or barrier blocking the grass and rocks? Thanks again for the feedback.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Well, rocks & concrete won't hurt him, but they're sure not something that he should be on very often. He'll graze on the grass, & so will prefer that area, but I assume you'll have him outside in some type of protective enclosure, right? Maybe you can tell us a bit about that.

Ken

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you could block it, that would probably be the easiest and less pricey. Depending on his size, you might get away with a small decorative style fencing that you can still see thru to the stone/garden areas, while keeping him off of it. I'm thinking about the black metal type stuff they sell at Menards. I use it for my leopards. It's easy to put up yourself and quite sturdy. Like pictured below. Well, until he's much larger then something more steady might be needed.
image.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be a shame to have to fence it off, as the more exercise big tortoises get the less health problems may occur. Aldabran tortoises that don't walk enough could have constipation problems or develop leg problems.

I would just keep an eye on him when you first get him to make sure he doesn't try to eat the stones. If he DOES show an interest in them, I'd hire a high school kid to dig them out.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Maybe turn the rock areas into more grass areas? It will allow him the extra room to roam and offers more food for grazing. Seems like a win win!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Diet should consist of mainly grass, weeds, leafs and cactus. I have seen young tortoises eat rocks and shells causing internal blockages and perforations resulting in death. As mentioned, aldabras need as much space as possible to afford them ample room for high exercise levels.

14590473_314086018952858_4105736311843768318_n.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I only give fruit as an occasional treat. Aldabran tortoises are grazers, eating grass, weeds and leaves. // The more you 'feed' them, the less they will graze.

~ So true, his shell is not smooth and he looks too big for his age, we would get his diet as natural as possible with no fruit or commercial supplements. Proper diet, good hydration, high exercise levels with natural sunshine will make your aldabra tortoise healthier and happy.

IMG_5622.JPG

Reactions: Rue

SoCalKona

~ So true, his shell is not smooth and he looks too big for his age, we would get his diet as natural as possible with no fruit or commercial supplements. Proper diet, good hydration, high exercise levels with natural sunshine will make your aldabra tortoise healthier and happy.

View attachment 189130

Thank you for the input Aldabraman much appreciated. We're trying to make sure we can make this the best home possible. The yard is much bigger than the photo I uploaded. We have more grass that extends past the photo shown. However our main concern is the rocks and it looks like we'll be figuring out what to do with them, replace with sand or grass. (Sounds like grass is what they prefer)

You mentioned his shell isn't smooth. Is that indicative of health issues that we should be concerned about? Or is that something we can correct by getting him out of his current home as soon as possible? Too big for his age? Again, indicative of an underlying condition?

I've seen a few photos that you've uploaded where your heard is eating. We'll definitely try to incorporate some of what you've shown and mentioned. Less fruit and commercial supplements.

Thank you again for letting us pick your brain. We appreciate your help in trying to make this a better home than he has now for Kona.