Just a lil sumting

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's a bit bare. How about getting three or four of those weighted aquarium plants (fake) and digging the weighted base down into the substrate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What do you guys think?

You've got a little sulcata there right? Here is what I think:
  • I love how you've closed the top in, put the heat and basking lamp inside, and the humidity is up. Great work there.
  • I think that you need a much larger enclosure in the very near future.
  • You will probably notice that the coir is very messy. My preference is to use just the orchid bark, like on the left side of your enclosure, for this species.
  • You need a larger water bowl that he can easily get in and out of. I like terra cotta saucers from the hardware store. The smaller sizes are less than $2. You probably need a 4" or maybe a 6" for Galileo.
  • While you are at the hardware store, pick up a digital thermometer. They are only about $10 and they record the highs, lows and the humidity highs and lows. You can set it on top of your humid hide or you can get some velcro tape and stick it to the side with that.
  • You need a humid hide. The half logs are nice for them to hide in, but those open ends don't hold in humidity very well. You can get a black dishwashing tub from Walmart for $1.82. Flip it upside down, but out a door hole just big enough for your tortoise and dampen the substrate under it.
  • I see the visual barrier that you've put up front too. You've really paid a lot of attention to detail there and I applaud your efforts. I also constantly re-think my enclosures and make little tweaks and improvements here or there. Keep posting!