Jules may have prolapse? Thoughts

VJGrimes

So I noticed my Julee earlier in the week hanging out in her water for the majority of the day. Yesterday when I brought her in for her weekly bath I noticed a fleshy lump protruding from her rectum area. the pictures attached. Does anyone recognize this? I'm reading mixed feelings regarding vet or nature. I just know I won't want this happening to me. So what is the best corse of action?

Attachments

• 20170604_071138.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 20170604_065254.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20170604_065130.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
She's straining to push something out (a load of parasites, a large egg, a hard poop). Until you resolve the reason for the straining, the prolapse won't go away. Leaving her sitting in water is a good thing. Sometimes all the scrambling to get out will help push out the problem. Are you sure she's a girl? Could it be a penis?

VJGrimes

She's straining to push something out (a load of parasites, a large egg, a hard poop). Until you resolve the reason for the straining, the prolapse won't go away. Leaving her sitting in water is a good thing. Sometimes all the scrambling to get out will help push out the problem. Are you sure she's a girl? Could it be a penis?
No I'm really not sure she a female. I've tried going by with what I read, but just not sure. It's still protruding.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can try putting a sugar paste on it. It's just sugar with a little water so it is like a paste, thick. It should help shrink it. Just don't let it, penis or whatever dry out

VJGrimes

You can try putting a sugar paste on it. It's just sugar with a little water so it is like a paste, thick. It should help shrink it. Just don't let it, penis or whatever dry out
So you think my Jules is actually a Julian?

VJGrimes

OMG that looks bad. i hope you an get him/her to a vet asap.
I'm trying to find one around me. I know my vet for the cats and dogs won't see her, and I'm struggling w my avain vet seeing her, but according to locations around me Dr Choyce will see Jules. Calling tomorrow. Maybe he'll tell me if I have a Jules or Julian. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pictures of the bottom of the shell tail area. Tail and tail area from the bottom side.
What species is this?

VJGrimes

Pictures of the bottom of the shell tail area. Tail and tail area from the bottom side.
What species is this?
I really know nothing about Jules. I found her in last year after she was gnawed on by a dog. Shes got a 1/4 v shape section of her shell missing and several teeth prints. I own another one that my dogs were attacking about 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure they're different species. Together they get along well. This has been the first major problem since owning the turtles. So it's been nice the last couple of days that I able to really ask question and get feedback on this forum. It's a shame it took so long to popup during my Google searches. My search was turtles and hemmoriods. Tortoise forum was the first to pop up. I really thought I knew what I was doing, now I feel I need to educate myself further on taking care of them and providing them w a safe sanctuary.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can use the pad of a finger and gently push it back in, but like I said, until the problem is resolved she'll keep pushing it back out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I really know nothing about Jules. I found her in last year after she was gnawed on by a dog. Shes got a 1/4 v shape section of her shell missing and several teeth prints. I own another one that my dogs were attacking about 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure they're different species. Together they get along well. This has been the first major problem since owning the turtles. So it's been nice the last couple of days that I able to really ask question and get feedback on this forum. It's a shame it took so long to popup during my Google searches. My search was turtles and hemmoriods. Tortoise forum was the first to pop up. I really thought I knew what I was doing, now I feel I need to educate myself further on taking care of them and providing them w a safe sanctuary.
Yes, I do believe you need some help on the care of them. You need to ID them so you know what you have and how to properly care for them. They also need to live apart in their own enclosures. Tortoises or Box Turtles which I'm assuming you have don't do good in pairs and species should never be mixed.
Post full pictures of them. Top, bottom, front and head so they can be ID

VJGrimes

You can use the pad of a finger and gently push it back in, but like I said, until the problem is resolved she'll keep pushing it back out.
OK thank you for that advice. I tried to do that, but more I pushed, the more she extended her neck. I put the sugar paste on her and leaving her inside tonight so she won't get filthy. Also I can monitor her output. She hasn't pooped in the bath the last 3 days. I'm going to bed hopefully all will look better tomorrow morning. Thanks again. I promise you I'm not a stupid person, just maybe a little less knowledgeable taking care of my turtle family.

VJGrimes

Yes, I do believe you need some help on the care of them. You need to ID them so you know what you have and how to properly care for them. They also need to live apart in their own enclosures. Tortoises or Box Turtles which I'm assuming you have don't do good in pairs and species should never be mixed.
Post full pictures of them. Top, bottom, front and head so they can be ID
Thank you I will do a photo shoot on them tomorrow. I posted a group pic of them in my introduction thread. Thank you and looking forward to chat again. Good night

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you I will do a photo shoot on them tomorrow. I posted a group pic of them in my introduction thread. Thank you and looking forward to chat again. Good night
I did seen the group photo. Just be sure to keep that possible prolapse wet. If it dries out, it will have to be amputated.

VJGrimes

Status on Jules... We're patiently waiting at the vet. Woke up and prolapse seemed worse. She didn't eat or pass any stools. Hoping to find the cause and fix the issue. Will keep you posted. Thank you again for the advice.

VJGrimes

Jules is not coming home to her turtle family. With a multi organ prolapse Her prognosis was poor and even after surgery would still be poor. Dr Arnold said considering her life and scars, I've done a good job w her. However it didn't help as the tears were streaming down my cheeks. Yes I feel like a dork. Really crying over a turtle. I guess it's those feelings that makes us want to rescue them. They suggest I submit a fecal sample from Bob or Gio to be sure it's not parasites.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sorry about that but doing a fecal on the other is great advice