Jonathan the Tortoise

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Can you imagine actually having an almost 200 year old tortoise in your family?? I'm curious as to the oldest tortoise out there among you.
Does anyone have one 50 years older? 100?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you imagine actually having an almost 200 year old tortoise in your family?? I'm curious as to the oldest tortoise out there among you.
Does anyone have one 50 years older? 100?

Most likely Aldabraman has the oldest. Many of them. @ALDABRAMAN what is the estimated oldest you have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was going to show you pictures of what I mean, however, the "attach" option isn't working for me. Instead of attach file it says options. So I hope I can make you understand without the picture:

The eyes and nose of a galapagos tortoise are in a straight line with each other, or on the same plane. While the Aldabran shows the nares down below the eyes. You can see it in Greg's picture above. Sorry I couldn't attach for the galap.

stock-photo-close-up-giant-galapagos-tortoise-head-shot-on-santa-cruz-island-14990866.jpg

Oh, goody!! I was able to copy paste a picture. See how the nose is on the same plane as the eyes? This is a galap.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks Yvonne, that sure helps. Usually if they have the gunky eyes I figure they are a galop or if they look mean or kinda ugly, like the one in the pic you posted. Although, the pic you posted is probably the cutest one I have seen as an adult, but much more mean looking then the so loveable and friendly looking Aldabra's:D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I was going to show you pictures of what I mean, however, the "attach" option isn't working for me. Instead of attach file it says options. So I hope I can make you understand without the picture:

The eyes and nose of a galapagos tortoise are in a straight line with each other, or on the same plane. While the Aldabran shows the nares down below the eyes. You can see it in Greg's picture above. Sorry I couldn't attach for the galap.

stock-photo-close-up-giant-galapagos-tortoise-head-shot-on-santa-cruz-island-14990866.jpg

Oh, goody!! I was able to copy paste a picture. See how the nose is on the same plane as the eyes? This is a galap.
Now I understand the difference. It's hard for me to tell, I just figured the Galapagos had bigger heads in general. But I wasn't sure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, when I said way back, that I thought it was actually Seychelles Giant Tortoise, but was confused if that still meant Aldabra, I was correct? The Seychelles Giant is not the same as an Aldabra? Very confusing still.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
So, when I said way back, that I thought it was actually Seychelles Giant Tortoise, but was confused if that still meant Aldabra, I was correct? The Seychelles Giant is not the same as an Aldabra? Very confusing still.
No they're still an Aldabra. There a sub species though. All the islands are Aldabra tortoise Aldabrachelys gigantea, but then you have Aldabrachelys gigantea hololissa, Aldabrachelys gigantea gigantea, Aldabrachelys gigantea Arnoldi, and Aldabrachelys gigantea daudinii. The other 4 sub species are extinct.

M

Maggie Cummings

No they're still an Aldabra. There a sub species though. All the islands are Aldabra tortoise Aldabrachelys gigantea, but then you have Aldabrachelys gigantea hololissa, Aldabrachelys gigantea gigantea, Aldabrachelys gigantea Arnoldi, and Aldabrachelys gigantea daudinii. The other 4 sub species are extinct.

Jeez, Kelly, that makes my head hurt...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Omg, thank you. That's what I thought a while back, in my first or second post, called it a strain, but still a little confusing, but now I got it. Hopefully:D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What wonderful survivors they all are.
Beautiful animals on the edge but still with us.
Such a shame so many others became extinct.