Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
So glad to hear he's still kicking!! :tort:

Relic

Here
Well...perhaps. His first "documented existence" was in 1882, and he was "estimated" to be 50 years old at that point. Heck, maybe he's older! In any case, he's a remarkable specimen, for sure.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
All the islands out there (Saint Helena, Tristan, Ascension) blow my mind because of how remote they are. Archie Carr had some great stuff on sea turtle nesting on Ascension in So Excellent a Fishe, too. Turtles swim from Brazil, straight east 1400 miles, and find the nesting beach. Mind blowing!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
All the islands out there (Saint Helena, Tristan, Ascension) blow my mind because of how remote they are. Archie Carr had some great stuff on sea turtle nesting on Ascension in So Excellent a Fishe, too. Turtles swim from Brazil, straight east 1400 miles, and find the nesting beach. Mind blowing!
I can't wait to read some of Carr's books. How did you like So Excellent a Fishe?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
It was good. More informational and heavy on the turtle research than the Windward Road, which is more adventure. They go well together though, since there were a lot of questions left open unanswered in Windward. What's nice is that you can get the books for like $4 used.

Relic

Here
It was good. More informational and heavy on the turtle research than the Windward Road, which is more adventure. They go well together though, since there were a lot of questions left open unanswered in Windward. What's nice is that you can get the books for like $4 used.
Dr. Carr's Handbook of Turtles was the gold standard for many years. I found a copy in a local college library back in the early 70s, checked it out...and never returned it. Yes, I paid them for it when they charged me. I figured they could replace it much easier than I could track down a seller. (Amazon is a game-changer for tracking down books.) The book I kept even survived an apartment fire - still has soot stains on the outside. Cherished book for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0801400643/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Sounds awesome for us tort and turtle lovers. :)