Jigsaw died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
New Redfoot Mom said:
So should these babies be hibernating all winter? I too am a nervous Mom. I just woke them up to try to make them eat b/c their greens went untouched today (one ate, one went right back to bed mad). Tomorrow, I am going to feel their undersides to see if they are soft... I have no point of reference, though...

No, while there are a few folks who advocate brumating neophyte torts in captivity, most experienced tortoise keepers do not, and, in fact, understand that brumating Euopean torts of any age has risks...

Obviously, your redfoots should never be brumated, as they're tropical.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
llaperle
Sorry you lost a baby too-I had not realised you had lost one.
It does seem more than coincidental that we both lost one from the same hatch. Perhaps they had problems metabolising the calcium or renal failure etc .
I feel sure I did all I could for their requirements as I am cautious anyway so watching them lots and worrying about every little thing!!

I am pleased you let me know of your sad news too as it reassures me a little that it was more than likely out of our hands and the babies were not destined to survive.

I do think thus far my other baby from the hatch looks to be ok-I really hope he or she does live a happy long life as they are very much loved here by the whole family and I still look at him/ her with amazement and wonder. Still small and weighing in at 28 grammes!

Is Sheldon from the same origins?
Hoping he stays healthy for you.
Thanks again for replying.

Happy New Year!

llaperle said:
Oh Louise, I'm so sorry to hear of Jigsaw's passing. As you may have read I lost one of the hatchlings I got too from that batch and it too had a soft "belly". Maybe it was something we have been up against since the get-go.

In any event, I am glad that it is being replaced for you, and wish you nothing but luck this time around.

I find that I am now a nervous tort mom to my 12-month old Shelldon. I yank him out of bed when he has slept too long, soak him when he looks groggy and pay very close attention to all of his behaviours. I don't know what else to do, it is so hard to lose one. I think your care sounds first-rate though, and all will be fine this time.

RIP Jigsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.