Jet, Russian Tortoise

NicoleTortoiseLover

Location (City and/or State)
Nc
Hey Everybody! My name is Nicole and I just recently bought a Russian Tortoise. His name is Jet. He is a very sociable Tortoise and loves to be out and about. I just wanted to come on here to be around people who have cared for tortoises and are very experienced. I know the basic information about it but this is my first tortoise and I would like to know a lot more to give him the best care to be happy and healthy.

8744861A-89CE-4D11-AAC7-C4821B648D76.jpegE1A5BF5D-E134-478A-86A0-630780F24771.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi Nicole, and welcome to the forum! You've come to the best place to learn about your new best friend.

I do have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that you are using the correct type of food and water dishes! Terra cotta plant saucers are excellent because they help keep Jet's nails and beak trimmed down.., and they're easy to get in and out of.

I'm going to take a guess that you bought Jet at either Petco or Petsmart. If I'm correct, the bad news is that whatever they told you about equipment and care is probably all wrong. Pet stores are just that...a place to sell you as much expensive equipment as possible, even if it is not needed or downright dangerous for torts.

And most employees have no clue how to properly care for a tortoise. They say buy this, and this, and this, and you're all set. They are just plain wrong. And did they tell you that Jet is at least 5 years old, and he is wild caught? There's nothing wrong with that, but I think you should know all you can about him. If you post a picture of his tail area taken from underneath, we can verify if he really is a he.

More good news...you've found us! And we're going to help you get what you need for Jet.

First, the 2 lights you have in that dome fixture. One is basking, and one is UVB? The basking bulb, if it is a spot basking bulb sold for reptiles, is not good for tortoises. It focuses all the heat into one small spot that is very drying to their shells. You should be using a regular incandescent flood light bulb that spreads the heat over a larger area.

The other bulb, the UVB, is not very effective, and sometimes damages tortoise eyes, especially while they are babies. There is no screw in UVB bulb that is reliable and gives out an effective amount of UVB. The only kind that works is a fluorescent tube type. Also, only about 50% of UVB will pass through the screening on top of your tank. It also will not pass through plastic or glass. But more good news...if you take your tortoise outside for an hour or two 2-3 times a week, ina safe outdoor enclosure, where he has access to sunshine, you don't need extra UVB at all.

Now to your tank. It is much too small. Tortoises need a large amount of space to walk, even when they are small, like Jet. They need to heat themselves up (basking) to digest their food, and walk to finish digesting and encourage pooping. Jet, since he is an adult, should either be inside in a tortoise table of at least 8x4ft, or housed outside in a safe outdoor enclosure of at least 8x4ft, and preferably bigger.

The next step is for you to read this care sheet. It will explain what I have said here in more detail. Read it, and come back with questions. We will explain anything you don't understand or wonder why we say what we do. Keep in mind that the care sheet is written from the perspective of raising a hatchling, but yours is adult, or nearly so.

We have lots of info. I've linked a couple threads you may find helpful.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Cute tortoise congratulations. He looks old enough to find out if it is a boy or girl. If you post a few pictures of the tail and stomach...If you want

NicoleTortoiseLover

Nc
Cute tortoise congratulations. He looks old enough to find out if it is a boy or girl. If you post a few pictures of the tail and stomach...If you want
Yeah I’ll be posting some to get some clarification about the gender

Reactions: Ink

NicoleTortoiseLover

Nc
Hi Nicole, and welcome to the forum! You've come to the best place to learn about your new best friend.

I do have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that you are using the correct type of food and water dishes! Terra cotta plant saucers are excellent because they help keep Jet's nails and beak trimmed down.., and they're easy to get in and out of.

I'm going to take a guess that you bought Jet at either Petco or Petsmart. If I'm correct, the bad news is that whatever they told you about equipment and care is probably all wrong. Pet stores are just that...a place to sell you as much expensive equipment as possible, even if it is not needed or downright dangerous for torts.

And most employees have no clue how to properly care for a tortoise. They say buy this, and this, and this, and you're all set. They are just plain wrong. And did they tell you that Jet is at least 5 years old, and he is wild caught? There's nothing wrong with that, but I think you should know all you can about him. If you post a picture of his tail area taken from underneath, we can verify if he really is a he.

More good news...you've found us! And we're going to help you get what you need for Jet.

First, the 2 lights you have in that dome fixture. One is basking, and one is UVB? The basking bulb, if it is a spot basking bulb sold for reptiles, is not good for tortoises. It focuses all the heat into one small spot that is very drying to their shells. You should be using a regular incandescent flood light bulb that spreads the heat over a larger area.

The other bulb, the UVB, is not very effective, and sometimes damages tortoise eyes, especially while they are babies. There is no screw in UVB bulb that is reliable and gives out an effective amount of UVB. The only kind that works is a fluorescent tube type. Also, only about 50% of UVB will pass through the screening on top of your tank. It also will not pass through plastic or glass. But more good news...if you take your tortoise outside for an hour or two 2-3 times a week, ina safe outdoor enclosure, where he has access to sunshine, you don't need extra UVB at all.

Now to your tank. It is much too small. Tortoises need a large amount of space to walk, even when they are small, like Jet. They need to heat themselves up (basking) to digest their food, and walk to finish digesting and encourage pooping. Jet, since he is an adult, should either be inside in a tortoise table of at least 8x4ft, or housed outside in a safe outdoor enclosure of at least 8x4ft, and preferably bigger.

The next step is for you to read this care sheet. It will explain what I have said here in more detail. Read it, and come back with questions. We will explain anything you don't understand or wonder why we say what we do. Keep in mind that the care sheet is written from the perspective of raising a hatchling, but yours is adult, or nearly so.

We have lots of info. I've linked a couple threads you may find helpful.

Thank you so much for the helpful information... Yes I did buy him from Petsmart. Do you know any good websites or stores that would sell stuff specifically for these tortoises. I just want to give him the best care and make sure he is healthy and good to go. Also thank you so so much for the info about it all and a honest opinion

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I just ordered a bunch of supplies, and these are the sites I used and can vouch for:
Amazon
Tortoise Supply: https://www.tortoisesupply.com
(owner is an active member of this forum)
LLL Reptiles: http://www.lllreptile.com

There are many other suppliers I have never used personally, but other members have been happy with:
Big Al's
Light Your Reptiles.com

There are more. Check this out...