Jack & sallys enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunalink

5 Year Member
So I just wanted to share with you guys the enclosures I have for my Sulcatas(Jack & Sally) and get some advice on how to make it more comfortable and suitable for them. I just recently moved so I had them in a 10g tank while I finished up around the house. I built them a 2’W x 3.5’L x 8” H outdoor enclosure. The substrate is a 50/50 mix of Sphagnum peat moss and organic top soil. The substrate is about 2.5” deep I figured it was good enough for now since sally started to burrow around.

DSC_0388.JPG

DSC_0374.JPG

DSC_0368.JPG

As for their inside enclosure I forgot I had an unused Ikea cabinet so I grabbed some leftover roofing tiles(?) and cut it to size, placed in the bottom and put in about 2” of 50/50 TS/SPM. For lighting I have a 60w CHE and a 65w basking lamp (I have a 75 & 100w as a backup). I live in LA so they spend most of their day outside in the sun and only come in for night time. I have them sitting on top of my bearded dragon Brock.

DSC_0413.JPG

DSC_0414.JPG

Sally is about 5 weeks old and Jack is about 3 weeks. I have them feeding on both greens and Missouri pellets. I’ve given them dandelions and clovers but I didn’t have much in my yard. I’ve been looking for organic seeds so I can grow them in their enclosures and in a garden bed I have.

If you guys have any questions, concerns or advice please let me know.

Before I forget, on the weekends I let them explore another section of the house so they wont get bored.

DSC_0360.JPG

DSC_0361.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You've made some really nice enclosures for the tortoises. I love that big aloe or agave plant in the outside part.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They do look nice. However, can they get out of the sun? Looks like you are their shade and that if you weren't there the whole thing would be sun, even under the log hide. I would also add some leafy plants and a larger water bowl, like a larger plant saucer.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
RE: Jack & sallys enclosures

Nightmare Before Christmas? The naming theme I mean. My knowledge is lacking on sulcata care but I typically see, when they're that young, that you wanna keep an eye on humidity...but like I said, not the man to talk to about it >.<

lunalink

5 Year Member
Part of the enclosure is covered by a frosted glass cabinet door for shade. I'll be adding shade plants and a terra cotta plate this weekend.

As far as humidity my wife spritz them every so often while im at work, and I take over when i get home.

The inside enclosure has a soaked sponge but i still spray it a little.

Im also in the process of designing a "2nd story" to their outside enclosure. Just drawing up plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.