Jacinta having a bath.

etreal

Location (City and/or State)
Monterrey, Mexico.
Thanks!!!

After reading so many good advices and recommendations on how to take care of a leopard tortoise, I really don’t know how I managed to raise Jacinta so nice.

I bought 2 of them in year 2000 but the other one died after just a few weeks.

Jacinta spends 8-9 months of the year outside since it was1or 2 years old. Monterrey’s weather is hot from March till October. Average humidity ranges from 60% to 71%.

I do not recall being thorough on soaking it. After reading about pyramiding and humidity, I am surprised of the results.

It was a very slow grower. When it was 10 years old it was half the size of a 12 years old that I saw in a store for sale. But suddenly around 11, it started growing very fast. One fact that may have trigger that, is that I got a Chihuahua and I found Jacinta eating its poop. That behavior stoped after a few months and hasn’t come back, but rapid growth was evident. Maybe a shot of protein was needed.

Food has been basically opuntia (as a good Mexican girl she eats a lot of opal!), zucchini, cucumber, different kind of lettuce and a lot of grass and other plants that grow in the yard.

I will start introducing much more of the foods recommended here.

Next step: finding a male for her. Unfortunately I do not know of someone in the area with one.

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Thanks!!!

After reading so many good advices and recommendations on how to take care of a leopard tortoise, I really don’t know how I managed to raise Jacinta so nice.

I bought 2 of them in year 2000 but the other one died after just a few weeks.

Jacinta spends 8-9 months of the year outside since it was1or 2 years old. Monterrey’s weather is hot from March till October. Average humidity ranges from 60% to 71%.

I do not recall being thorough on soaking it. After reading about pyramiding and humidity, I am surprised of the results.

It was a very slow grower. When it was 10 years old it was half the size of a 12 years old that I saw in a store for sale. But suddenly around 11, it started growing very fast. One fact that may have trigger that, is that I got a Chihuahua and I found Jacinta eating its poop. That behavior stoped after a few months and hasn’t come back, but rapid growth was evident. Maybe a shot of protein was needed.

Food has been basically opuntia (as a good Mexican girl she eats a lot of opal!), zucchini, cucumber, different kind of lettuce and a lot of grass and other plants that grow in the yard.

I will start introducing much more of the foods recommended here.

Next step: finding a male for her. Unfortunately I do not know of someone in the area with one.
She's beautiful!

Make sure you read the info on housing a Male and female together safely, and make sure she's in good enough health to breed!