Izzy outside now in new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Today was a nice day and I decided to try Izzy in the updated enclosure. The water level went down a bit and I am wondering if I need to seal the cememt...I have to look into that now....it does need some "tweeking", but she seemed to love it.

020-4.jpg

016-4.jpg

008-10.jpg

019-2.jpg

013-6.jpg

007-10.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those are just the best!!! kind of pictures. Beautiful habitat with the turtle in the shot. I love it. And obviously Izzy does too.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank ytou. Yvonne, maybe next year Chewy can go out there...for now she is in a Christmas tree storage bin that I made for her with lots of Spring mix, some floweres, grasses...paint tray pan, and a hide with long fibered moss. She only goes out if it is nice out and comes in late in the afternoon. She is too little to play with the big kids yet.

020-2.jpg

010-8.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Terry...I just love looking at your enclosure, but it sure makes me feel bad for my own animals, they don't have anything even remotely close to what you provide. I am keeping my computer hidden from them as I picture a long line of turtles and tortoises with sticks over their shoulders holding all their belongs as they run away from my skimpy living to your sumptuous yard...It's just beautiful and seeing her with her face under the water getting a drink is just beautiful...you really have done right by your animals...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
maggie3fan said:
Terry...I just love looking at your enclosure, but it sure makes me feel bad for my own animals, they don't have anything even remotely close to what you provide. I am keeping my computer hidden from them as I picture a long line of turtles and tortoises with sticks over their shoulders holding all their belongs as they run away from my skimpy living to your sumptuous yard...It's just beautiful and seeing her with her face under the water getting a drink is just beautiful...you really have done right by your animals...

Thank you so much Maggie. Coming from someone like you that is a wonderful compliment..and I am sure your animals are VERY well taken care of. I have learned so much from you and your sister (V) and everyone else here. You did give me a good laugh picturing your gang lined up at my door...me..running for the hills...lol

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow Terry!
I am so in love with the enclosure! It is amazing!
Izzy is so cute and she looks really comfortable in it :D

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Izzy looks super happy! What a lucky turtle!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Terry, I'm warning you I'll be there in the spring with my stick on my back standing in like with Maggie’s kids. LOL. Izzy does look happy in her new habitat and I know Chewy will too when he gets big enough. I just love the pic of Izzy drinking and Chewy's big eyes. Such sweet babies. I just attended part 1 of a 2 part class on habitats. If I may, can I print a pic of yours to take to the next class? I am sure they would love to see what a wonderful job you have done for your torts. Maggie the pic in my mind of all your torts in line sticks on back gave me a chuckle too, but I do understand. Especially having arid torts their habitats seem so dry and stark compared to Izzy's and Pios, and someday soon Chewy's. Ahhh muddy torts :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I live on this Island and in the summer there is lots of humidity, and many things grow so nice...I am just lucky.Use all the pictures that you want Robyn....I am so fascinated with these guys.... and thank you all so much for all the nice compliments. It's called empty nest syndrone...After 5 boys I sit here and stare into space with nothing to do most of the time......maybe I should clean my house....lol
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/terryo_album/

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh Terry I think that all the time also (clean my house that is), but does it get done???? Izzy is soooooooo cute I hardly can stand it. I love the eyes and Izzy looks so happy in the enclosure. I love when you post pictures they're always so lovely. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

But cleaning house isn't nearly as much fun as messing with torts or turtles and their habitats...

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I see a trend here. I'd much rather mess w/torts and turtles than cleaning my house, ha ha.
Terry--I want to be Izzy. J/K. She looks really happy there.

Tortuslvr

5 Year Member
Add a few feeder goldfish to the water and Izzy will have the time of her life!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Cuuuute! Izzy loves it indeed....you can see in the pics ! Man oh man what a garden of eden...I think I'll tell Nick that I'm moving in with you, that ok Terry? Lol

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
what a mess galileo would make of your yard/habitat terry, but hed love every minute of it. he hears running water and he becomes his nickname gallup. what island do you live on? im on top of a mtn over looking a valley to the north and the pacific ocean to the south, its pretty dry around here, but its great for a sulcata pretty much year round except for a few weeks during the winter. smiles from galileo (who loves his yard) & spring (who wants a yard like yours)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It sounds beautiful where you live. I live in New York. I love the city...shopping is great...restaurants fabulous, but sometimes I see pictures that people post here with all their land and beautiful country, and I really get jealous. My yard is small, but enough for me. It is a lot of work keeping it weed free. The summers here are very humid ...perfect summer weather for a Redfoot and a boxie. Pio, my Cherry Head, will be sad to come in for the winter.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Wow Terry... I love Izzy's little stream, rocks and plants.. I need just the same for the Fairy garden my daughters and I are building/making..

I do need to ask, did you make the stream yourself out of the cement? If so what kind did you use? and how long ago did you make it? Reason I ask is because of the cement leaching into the water.. I have been doing research on making Bird baths and the cement has to be soaked to leach the toxins out of it.. Say in a tub of water.. But since you have a stream, I know thats not possible. With my daughters stream thats going to be in her Fairy Garden, I don't have to worry about soaking/leaching out the cement because there wont be any fish in the stream area.. Does any of this make sense? lol... Try Googling Leaching Cement and Im sure you can find a site that will explain it way better than I just tried to.. lol..

I LOVE your stream and you are more than welcome to come over and help build the little stream for my daughters Fairy Garden.. :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Terry, can you post some of the names of the plants that you added to your enclosure? You told me to buy some Hostas for Dale's enclosure and I did, but I need some more ideas on what wouldn't poison him. I think I see some Strawberry plants in there, but not quite sure.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Fairies are my thing. I LOVE them. What is a fairy garden? Pleaseeeeeeeeee post some pictures when you are done. I never heard of one. My son kept pouring water on the cement and scrubbing it with a steel brush and flushing the water out with the pump. Then we let the water sit for two days. The first day it seeped out some, but not a lot because we have a liner underneath the cement. That's really all he did.

Candy...I have some hostas, a live forever (Orphine), strawberries, small rose of Sharon, dandelion, pansies, Irish moss and Scottish moss, clover, a little grape vine (Pio ate all the leaves so it hasn't climbed up the fence yet) creeping Jenny, sedum, portacula chicks and hens, begonia, and petunia. Portacula for some reason is supposed to be very healthy for tortoises. I love this site and always use it for my plants.
http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
terryo said:
Fairies are my thing. I LOVE them. What is a fairy garden? Pleaseeeeeeeeee post some pictures when you are done. I never heard of one. My son kept pouring water on the cement and scrubbing it with a steel brush and flushing the water out with the pump. Then we let the water sit for two days. The first day it seeped out some, but not a lot because we have a liner underneath the cement. That's really all he did.

Candy...I have some hostas, a live forever (Orphine), strawberries, small rose of Sharon, dandelion, pansies, Irish moss and Scottish moss, clover, a little grape vine (Pio ate all the leaves so it hasn't climbed up the fence yet) creeping Jenny, sedum, portacula chicks and hens, begonia, and petunia. Portacula for some reason is supposed to be very healthy for tortoises. I love this site and always use it for my plants.
http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

Terry thank you so much for the information on the plants. Dale will be so happy when I go to the nursery now and buy him some plants that won't poison him. :p Thank you also for the site it will be very helpful. Right now all Dale does all day is hide in his hide. He won't come out and he won't hide under the Hostas that I bought for him. All of the other plants are in pots because I wasn't sure if they were O.K. for him or not. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.