It's That Time Of Year

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
To start drying food for winter feeding. Yesterday I used the electric mower to cut some clover and wild violets mixed with other weeds and grasses they were calling for showers so I put the pool under my truck for the night.Picture 006.jpgThis morning I spread it out on a piece shower pan liner.Picture 008.jpgIf we have another sunny day tomorrow like we had today I believe it will be dry enough to bag up. Then I'll do another batch.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine won't eat the dried grass.
Have you ever tried vacuum sealing it while still green?
I vacuum seal, those actual bags you use the vacuum to suck the air out, on the leaves I save for winter. I usually thrn put them in the freezer. This year I'm going to leave them out of the freezer and see how they do.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Fresh-cut grass in piles (low oxygen environment) can incubate botulism:

I would definitely not keep it (or any other vegetation) vacuum-packed unless completely dried:

Len B

10 Year Member!
I vacuum seal, those actual bags you use the vacuum to suck the air out, on the leaves I save for winter. I usually thrn put them in the freezer. This year I'm going to leave them out of the freezer and see how they do.
I soak it in water before offering it to them. If at first they don't eat it I'll mush some very wet Mazuri in it. I've never used a vacuum sealer.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Fresh-cut grass in piles (low oxygen environment) can incubate botulism:

I would definitely not keep it (or any other vegetation) vacuum-packed unless completely dried:
I don't store permanently until it's completely dry and I use those large heavy duty paper bags sold for leaves and yard debris. When I pulled the pool out from under the truck this morning and started to spread it out to dry what was at the bottom was already warm. I mixed it several times today as it was drying, today was a good drying day.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I don't store permanently until it's completely dry and I use those large heavy duty paper bags sold for leaves and yard debris. When I pulled the pool out from under the truck this morning and started to spread it out to dry what was at the bottom was already warm. I mixed it several times today as it was drying, today was a good drying day.
Such great weather today! Light breeze this morning was amazing.

Lulabee247

Durham
Wow I never thought of that. I’m struggling to grow weeds for this years winter

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow I never thought of that. I’m struggling to grow weeds for this years winter
I do grape and mulberry leaves with the vacuum sealing and the freezing. They have never not eaten them. I have done the drying in the mesh laundry bags before and they are not as thrilled about the dried stuff.
This year I will vac seal and freeze half and the other half I am just going to vacuum seal in leave in my cooler basement without freezing. If I notice they start turning icky looking, I will then throw them in the freezer.
It's always work good for me.

Lulabee247

Durham
I do grape and mulberry leaves with the vacuum sealing and the freezing. They have never not eaten them. I have done the drying in the mesh laundry bags before and they are not as thrilled about the dried stuff.
This year I will vac seal and freeze half and the other half I am just going to vacuum seal in leave in my cooler basement without freezing. If I notice they start turning icky looking, I will then throw them in the freezer.
Fab thanks for that, mine doesn’t eat dried foods either, my queen only likes fresh ? who would have thought after all these years of weed killing that I’d actually want to grow some ?

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I would second ZenHerper's warning about botulism. The spores of Clostridium botulinum are in the soil. They are well known to germinate if conditions are right.....moist greens in a vacuum pack is perfect....Once the spores germinate, the bacteria produce a lethal toxin that causes botulism. It's a serious issue that is most commonly associated with cattle and horses fed round-bale hay that is not fully dried before being wrapped. Sealing in the bags and freezing is fine. Sealing in the bags and not freezing is not ok. Please don't do your experiment....it's already been done (accidentally) many times with disastrous results. Botulinum toxin is extremely potent and it may be present without the foodstuffs being obviously spoiled. Even a tiny amount can be lethal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would second ZenHerper's warning about botulism. The spores of Clostridium botulinum are in the soil. They are well known to germinate if conditions are right.....moist greens in a vacuum pack is perfect....Once the spores germinate, the bacteria produce a lethal toxin that causes botulism. It's a serious issue that is most commonly associated with cattle and horses fed round-bale hay that is not fully dried before being wrapped. Sealing in the bags and freezing is fine. Sealing in the bags and not freezing is not ok. Please don't do your experiment....it's already been done (accidentally) many times with disastrous results. Botulinum toxin is extremely potent and it may be present without the foodstuffs being obviously spoiled. Even a tiny amount can be lethal.
I will take the advice from both of you and put all in freezer.
I figured with the air sucked out, it would preserve the leaves to stay green and fresh. I of course do not want to risk my torts health.
Thanks you and ZenHerper too.

Lulabee247

Durham
Ok thanks for that advice, guess I’ll just stick to trying to grow weeds indoors ?