Its summer time Lets get some of that goooood good UV :D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Because of out cold wet climate for most of the year my leopard lives indoors in his own room.
It took about a month for him to get used to being a tortoise again.
If I put him out in the sun he would panic and run back in again.
I just had to let him discover the great outdoors in his own time.
Now on the rare days we have had sun he loves to find a sunny patch to stretch out in and is back to grazing in his outdoor enclosure.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm getting Sapphire out but he's still somewhat hiding in the weeds. The air temps are still kinda cool but later in the day the sunshine isn't. So I've been taking him out then a couple of hours a day anyway. He's enjoying it because he looks at me with that question in his eyes in the morning.?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I strongly recommend an enclosure. Letting them run loose in the yard will result in one disaster or another. We see it all the time here...

gurgleblaster

Charlotte
i walk her standing next to her she doesnt run loose. 30 minutes to an hour weather permitting and then back to the enclosure. she gets quality sun rays and gets to work those legs climbing up and down the hill. cant do outdoor enclosure because of native fauna, so walking her is best way to get natural sunlight.

Last edited:

gurgleblaster

Charlotte
just to add yes her enclosure is big enough 2ft by 12ft with temperature gradients and basking spots as well as soil to dig in and various hides. I just think it is important get access to sunlight and being able to forage over a wide terrain. I am well aware of the dangers posed by letting them roam around on their own hence close supervision and don't recommend just letting them roam free. I didn't want this to be a thread about the dangers of the outdoors but here is a short list that people should be aware of

1. Tortoises are faster than you realize and they are naturally camoflauged
2. Tortoises are expert climbers they will climb on anything and everything
3. Native fauna like foxes coyotes hawks rodents etc will see your tort as prey
4. Neighbors pets can also view your tort as prey

feel free to add but also Just post some tort pics its the summer were getting vaccinated we should enjoy the natural bounty around us.