its summer and Thelma is hybernating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Need an opinion. Here in the NW summer has arrived. It has been 75-85 degrees for the last week and expected to stay that way for another 5 days or so. My Russians have been enjoying this early summer by living outside now. Thelma, my large female has apparently buried herself, which is not uncommon for her. She does that alot, her favorite thing to do even indoors. I usually can find where she is and dig her up and bring her in at night when I think its gonna be to cold. Did the same thing last year in the early spring even though they have heated houses to retreat to. This year however I am unable to find where she has buried herself. She has not been seen for 4 days now. No, she cannot get out and yes, I am sure. I am wondering how long I should wait to really dig up the enclosure to find her or just let her be and wait for her to decide when its time to show herself. Weather man is saying that it will cool off to 73 with a chance of rain later this week for about three days. What do you all think?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Only Thelma knows the reason why she is hiding. But one guess might be estivation. Some tortoises estivate during the hot days of summer. Its not quite like hibernation/brumation, but they just sit there in their little hiding place until the spirit moves them to come back out.

From Wikipedia:

Estivation or aestivation (from Latin aestas, summer), also known as "summer sleep", is a state of dormancy somewhat similar to hibernation. It takes place during times of heat and dryness, the hot dry season, which is often but not inevitably the summer months.

Invertebrate and vertebrate animals are known to enter this state, in order to avoid damage from high temperatures and the risk of desiccation. Both terrestrial and aquatic animals undergo estivation.

That may or may not be what's in Thelma's mind.

Yvonne

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Only Thelma knows the reason why she is hiding. But one guess might be estivation. Some tortoises estivate during the hot days of summer. Its not quite like hibernation/brumation, but they just sit there in their little hiding place until the spirit moves them to come back out.

From Wikipedia:

Estivation or aestivation (from Latin aestas, summer), also known as "summer sleep", is a state of dormancy somewhat similar to hibernation. It takes place during times of heat and dryness, the hot dry season, which is often but not inevitably the summer months.

Invertebrate and vertebrate animals are known to enter this state, in order to avoid damage from high temperatures and the risk of desiccation. Both terrestrial and aquatic animals undergo estivation.

That may or may not be what's in Thelma's mind.

Yvonne

So I should just leave her alone till she decides its time to come out? What if it rains and cools down? Think she will be ok?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought you couldn't find her. If you can't find her, then you have to leave her alone, yes?

Russians are very good at burying and hiding. They usually pick a spot under something growing and dig in under the roots, pushing the dirt behind them, so you can't see where they are. If you get down on your hands and knees in the pen and go around poking the ground with your finger tips, you will be able to find the loose dirt spot where she is.

Russians are ok in cold weather, but if you think its going to rain, you should try to find her and bring her in. They don't do good if it gets wet and cold.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yvonne-That explains why Trevor always burrows right under his piece of driftwood, or his plastic plant. Always the same spots, even if we fill in the hole!

Status
Not open for further replies.