Its so hot outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaSFA

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I live in East Texas and have a leopard tort. The past few weeks, the heat index has been over 100 degrees outside. Can it get too hot to put my tort out doors?

We just moved into a new house and it is very sunny out. So I put him out today but he doesn't want to come out from under his hide. Can it get too hot outside for them? He is a hatchling, only 6 months old.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
i'd put him somewhere where he can choose between full sun, partial sun, and a full shade. your hatchling is the only one who can really decide whats too hot for him and he'll regulate his body temperature accordingly

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Do not forget Anna, Sunrays bounce off things so natural UVB and Heat is provided even in a full shaded enclosure.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
actually cpx, i don't think UVB reflects much. most of the visible light is reflected and turned into infrared (which is heat) but i think the higher frequencies are absorbed by just about everything

AnnaSFA

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah, I am thinking that I will keep Chuga in doors as well. He was outside all day today though because I hadn't moved his table that his rubbermaid sits on. But we moved it tonight and he is back indoors.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If you have him outside in a rubbermaid it will get hotter in the rubbermaid. You could take him out for 30mins and let him soak or roam the yard under your supervision 3 to 4 times a week that way he gets natural light. I would do it in the early am or late pm just before the sun sets. Mine rotate days and go out to the pool and swim around for 30mins to an hour, they love it and I kill two birds with one stone. (soak & Sun) Of course in the pool they have hides and part of the pool has shade.

AnnaSFA

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thats a great idea. I will have to do that.

B

Bansh88

As long as he has some kind of shade, he's fine. We've had 2 weeks or so of 100+ heat here in East San Diego.

glendab63

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
AnnaSFA said:
I live in East Texas and have a leopard tort. The past few weeks, the heat index has been over 100 degrees outside. Can it get too hot to put my tort out doors?

We just moved into a new house and it is very sunny out. So I put him out today but he doesn't want to come out from under his hide. Can it get too hot outside for them? He is a hatchling, only 6 months old.

I have 3 sulcatas here in east texas and they stay out from sunup to sundown ,and they do fine they strech out in the shade / hide and they do not like having to come in.which I still do at night or if I'm going out for the day.

ki6ojv

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I went out and turned off the heat in Darwins Dogloo tonight. It was really hot today and is probably going to be in the 70s tonight. He should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.