It Was Bound To Happen. . .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My next door neighbor's row of eucalyptus trees just on the other side of my fence:

euc tree a.jpg

And that's my SA leopards' shed and yard.

This is what their yard looked like yesterday morning:

euc 7-14-21 c.jpgeuc 7-14-21 d.jpgeuc 7-14-21 e.jpg

I was able to find all of them but one, and hopefully she's safe under the branches. My neighbor hasn't called his tree service yet to come clean up the mess.

Attachments

• euc 7-14-21 b.jpg
    euc 7-14-21 b.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 17

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
That’s frustrating those darn trees! I have 30 or so of them at my place as well and part of me just wants to cut them all down and be done with it. But they are so big and give so much shade I haven’t been about to convince myself to so it yet. Keep us up to date on the clean up if he doesn’t take care of it I’ll load my chain saw and start the long drive

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That area of his yard doesn't get irrigated, plus we've had a long string of triple digit days, so the trees are very brittle. There's one more branch leaning over that yard that will come down eventually on its own. I just hope the one tortoise I can't find isn't crushed . Eucalyptus branches are awfully heavy.

Thanks for the offer, however, I'm making sure my neighbor takes care of HIS trees!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Between the time I took that top picture and the time I took the rest of them, another branch fell. In the top picture you are able to see the summertime shelter, but in subsequent pictures that shelter is obscured.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you should get on your neighbors arse to take care of his mess, and repair your stuff.
Things like this happen for lack of care, unless there was a big storm.
They have the responsibility to take care of them or cut them down, so this doesnt happen.
A neighbor like that would not like me at all.
I just had a "save a tree" guy look at one of my trees that has a big dead branch on it. Was afraid if we took the branch off, the tree would be one side heavy and fall on my neighbors house. The tree is tagged to come down.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you should get on your neighbors arse to take care of his mess, and repair your stuff.
Things like this happen for lack of care, unless there was a big storm.
They have the responsibility to take care of them or cut them down, so this doesnt happen.
A neighbor like that would not like me at all.
I just had a "save a tree" guy look at one of my trees that has a big dead branch on it. Was afraid if we took the branch off, the tree would be one side heavy and fall on my neighbors house. The tree is tagged to come down.
Eucalyptus trees are brittle anyway, but with the drought they're even more so. My neighbor is a real big guy, and Native American, and quite intimidating. I'm sure he'll take care of the problem. He just spent hundreds of dollars on the trees opposite this set but hadn't gotten around to these yet. I'm anxious to find my tortoise, but I'll be patient.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With the possible life of a tort on the line, I I wouldn't be patient too long.
Besides, one kick or 2x4 in the oops now and that big guy will fall like that tree and cry like a baby. Lol