issues with colder weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I recently moved into my first apartment and went with lower price over better quality. I am a college student so I like cheap :). But anyway the windows are old and let alot of air in. It is starting to get cold and even with the windows closed and the fans off, I am having a hard time keeping the temperatures warm enough in my redfoot's enclosure. I cant keep his heat lamp on because it is so bright he wants nothing to do with it at night. Are there any other solutions? I have been looking at alot of under the tank heaters, but I have a plastic enclosure and I dont know if that would work. Anyway I need some advice. Sorry it took so long to explain this lol.

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi! I have an infared bulb that provides heat and isn't so bright so it can stay on all night. I think it cost about 10-12 dollars, but it does the trick! Jennifer

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
I also just picked up a bulb from Wal-Mart in the light bulb section of the store. By the colored party bulbs (red, green etc.) Anyway it's made by GE and called "Blacklight" reptile rays, for nighttime heat. I don't think it was more than $7.00. There is even a picture of a snake on the box...

M

Maggie Cummings

big_red_tortoise said:
I recently moved into my first apartment and went with lower price over better quality. I am a college student so I like cheap :). But anyway the windows are old and let alot of air in. It is starting to get cold and even with the windows closed and the fans off, I am having a hard time keeping the temperatures warm enough in my redfoot's enclosure. I cant keep his heat lamp on because it is so bright he wants nothing to do with it at night. Are there any other solutions? I have been looking at alot of under the tank heaters, but I have a plastic enclosure and I dont know if that would work. Anyway I need some advice. Sorry it took so long to explain this lol.

I use a clamp light fixture bought at Kmart for $8.00 and black lightbulbs also bought at Kmart for $3.99
I use this inexpensive warming technique taught to me by my sister who has used the same set up for 30 years or so.
So for $12 you can keep your tortoise warm. I leave the black light on 24/7. They are 60 watts and really keep the animals warm...HTH

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And to add to what Maggie has told you, fold some sheets of aluminum foil together so that you have a larger sheet, then cover the whole thing, lights and all, with it. That keeps the warm air in and the cold air out.

Yvonne

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
I use ceramic heat emitters for my winter heat plus lots of lighting that comes on in the day with timers. They live outside 7 to 8 months of the year. The emitters and fixtures are not "cheap" though. When it comes to reptile heat and lighting, nothing good is cheap.:cool:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I also use ceramic heat emitters. They last forever...I haven't changed mine in over a year, and they give out NO light, which is great for Redfoots, (so I've been told).

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Florida
I ended up buying a bulb from walmart and tested it last night. It seems to do the trick. Thanks so much for all the advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.