ISO Reputable Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Knobs of KY
Hello!

Would anyone of you mind giving me some names of some online reputable breeder/dealers for tortoises?

As I put in my introductions this past weekend...I am looking to get a baby sulcata within 2 months and I wanted to know who you all thought were really good breeders that have a good history of providing loving homes with healthy torts :)

Right now, I have narrowed it down to 3:
Backwater Reptiles
Tortoise Supply
Turtle Shack

Any recommendations or comments would be greatly appreciated :) :tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have not bought a tortoise from tortoisesupply.com, however, the owner, Tyler is a member of the forum and I have purchased other things from him and highly recommend buying your tortoise from him. You won't go wrong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many members here have well started healthy babies too. I have several dozen right now. Want one?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, my first choice for you would be to buy from Tom. I didn't realize he had any for sale now. Then Tyler. BTW, Tom's great threads for raising a healthy, smooth sulcata is listed below in my post. You should read them.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
ARIZONA TORTOISE COMPOUND! Andy is a great guy and a reputable breeder. He has helped me out several times...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Where ever you buy it from, be sure they are raising it hot and humid, not hot and dry. Toms, for sure are being raised in the hot and humid way.

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
WOW! Thank you everyone! I am a bit upset though, for some reason, I am no longer getting notifications concerning my posts :( So, I apologize for the delay in response.

Tom- could you tell me the cost for one of your babies +plus shipping? :tort:

I will definitely check out all the other recommendations as well :) I am also open to rescuing a sully-preferably younger than 3 years, but I haven't been having much luck in finding available rescues :(

AirborneExotics

5 Year Member
Based on personal experience, I would avoid Backwater, especially if this is your first for this (or any) species. Another place to look is Ben Siegel Reptiles out of Florida. He has daily "auctions" on his Facebook which is where we got our sulcatas along with our water monitor and female blue tree monitor. Superb animals and customer service.

Haira32

5 Year Member
I had narrowed it down to the same three and I meant to ultimately buy from tortoisesuply but in a hurry I accidentally realized I purchased from blackwater. That was really stupid on my part, mixing up the website and by the time i realized, he had shipped already. Anyway, I would not recommend blackwater, my sully was so cold and dry and his shipping box was not labeled properly, just a plain brown box. I was not asked to sign for him, and because it was not labeled properly, I watched the delivery guy toss the package in the air. I have no idea what else my baby went through, but I am watching him like a hawk, hoping he doesn't go down hill.

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
Haira32 said:
I had narrowed it down to the same three and I meant to ultimately buy from tortoisesuply but in a hurry I accidentally realized I purchased from blackwater. That was really stupid on my part, mixing up the website and by the time i realized, he had shipped already. Anyway, I would not recommend blackwater, my sully was so cold and dry and his shipping box was not labeled properly, just a plain brown box. I was not asked to sign for him, and because it was not labeled properly, I watched the delivery guy toss the package in the air. I have no idea what else my baby went through, but I am watching him like a hawk, hoping he doesn't go down hill.

:( That is horrible!! I am so sorry that your little guy had to go through that :( I truly hope that since he now has an awesome parent like you~he will be on the mend very quickly! :)

I am definitely NOT buying from them since that is how they treat the animals! However, I do wish I had enough money to buy them out of business and save all those babies :(

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Haira32 said:

Even if it was labeled "properly", your animal would have received no special consideration. The Overnight Carriers are freight forwarders, not animal couriers....

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
My vote would be to go with Tom. A friend and myself each purchased a hatchling from him last year, and he has great follow up communication as well as cutting edge insights into the proper methods of raising hatchlings. Someplace on the forum is a thread titled, “The Official Little Ricky Thread" and it shows my baby from Tom as well as growth pictures and stats. ImageUploadedByTortForum1374336834.615259.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
wellington said:
Okay, my first choice for you would be to buy from Tom. I didn't realize he had any for sale now. Then Tyler. BTW, Tom's great threads for raising a healthy, smooth sulcata is listed below in my post. You should read them.

spikethebest said:
Buy from Tom, then tortoisesupply, then MAYBE someone on Kingsnake

Feelings crushed. Emotions damaged. Tom on the sh*tlist now! :p

Tom is the man. He's admittedly cheaper than us on the animals and has pretty sulcatas.

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
AWE! So sorry Tyler :( I can only imagine that by the number of times you were recommended in this thread that you are AWESOME!! Chin up :D You are too funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.